Ford 8N Live Hydraulics

/ Ford 8N Live Hydraulics #1  

Bartman1959

Silver Member
Tractor
1949 Ford 8N
Anyone ever installed live hydraulics on an 8N? How big of a job, and how expensive was it?

/ Ford 8N Live Hydraulics #2  
Are you talking about a front mount pump? I have seen that setup for front end loaders on n series tractors.

/ Ford 8N Live Hydraulics
Yeah, that's what I am talking about.

/ Ford 8N Live Hydraulics #4  
Not actually a front pump system but here's Kevin LaRue Had a break down on when he installed his set up.

Ford N Tractor Live Hydraulics

Also over on the YTmag site TOH (the old hokie) has put one on an 8n. I think he may even sell a kit. Windy ridge machine shop

Kirk

/ Ford 8N Live Hydraulics #6  
yup, there are plenty of ways to do it. Even zane sherman over on YTmag made a 'live thang' kit.

all basically are plumbing a live engine run pump into your existing hyds system. Keep in mind that your exhaust valve is designed around 3gpm, so if you feed it more, then with no load on the 3pt, the lift may come up due to restrictions in exhausting oil.

For those with a loader, you can use diverters and priority valves to run both power steering, live hyds on the 3pt, and remotes. ( same with a non stinger-crankshaft ) belted on pump.

Or you could buy a tractor from 52+ and get live hyds. ;)

Soundguy, I don't want to buy a newer tractor since my 49 8N goes great with my 48 Ford F1 pickup. It sounds like "bigger isn't always better" as far as hydraulic pumps and 8Ns go. I know I have to get my existing hydraulics sorted out before installing an external "live" pump. I was just curious what all was involved and what kind of cost I'd be looking at. Thanks

/ Ford 8N Live Hydraulics #8  
cost.. unless you are doing it all yourself from scratch can get prohibitive. With the price of N's going down, and 2500$ being for mint shape, expect to easily sink in 500$ for live hyds depending on how you accomplish it. many who go live hyds, also want power steering or loaders, and if loaders, both.. you can turn a 2000$ N into a 5000$ N by adding live hyds, power steering and a loader. It's one of those 'how fast is your wallet' questions. Anything is possible with cubic money, unlimited labor, and a torch and welder.

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. Thanks.

/ Ford 8N Live Hydraulics #10  
Cheapest bet is to find a pre configured system someone was selling, used but working, and just buy it all together.