Ford 8n vs 2000

/ Ford 8n vs 2000 #1  

53GMC

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 8n, Two Massey Ferguson 20 Industrial, Hinomoto
I Currently have a 1952 ford 8n. I am going to look at a 1965 ford 2000. I know it does not have power steering. He said he thinks it is a four speed but it does not have a hi or low. It is a 6 volt system and has to be jumped to start, bad battery? It has good tires.

He inherited it from his father but is needing money, I would be looking at $1000 to $2000 for it, maybe less. It needs some cosmetic work such as a seat and a coat of paint. Do you think it would be worth $1500?

How would this tractor compare to a 8n?

Would I be able to run a tiller or is it geared to high like an 8n? I do not know if it is a 3 or 4 cly so how would they compare?

Thanks,
Philip.

/ Ford 8n vs 2000 #2  
Sounds like a deal they seem to be priced 2000 to 6500 on tractor house I don't know how it compares to a 8n tho!

/ Ford 8n vs 2000 #3  
The 2000 as described, will have all the shortcomings of your 8N except the transmission driven hydraulics. You won't be able to effectively run a tiller with it. a 1965 2000 described as factory 6 volt is contradictory, but that doesn't matter much.
If you want to upgrade an 8N, a 4 speed 2000 with manual steering is a very small step up. $1500 and added expense for electrical and other unforseen initial repairs is no bargain in my book.

/ Ford 8n vs 2000 #4  
I agree.. you are buying another 8n with slightly better hyds and a couple more hp.

that battery will set you back over 100$, and if the gen is bad.. another 100$ with exchange, and 40-50$ for a reg if needed.

sink that money into a better machine.

there are plenty of 660, 860, 661, 861, 2000/4000 4 cyl w/5spd and 3 cyl modles with better tranny options.. like twin stick 6 or 8 speeds on the 3 cyl jobs.. or 5spd dual clutches on the 4 cyl jobs. power steering can be found on any of them.

by the time you make the 2000 start on it's own you could be looking at 2000$.. that 2000$ could get you into any of the 4 cyl jobs, or maybee just a hair more for a good one or a 3 cyl. ps.. on the 3 cyl models.. the 2000 is pretty much an economy unit/version of a 3000.

if going for a post 65.. I'd opt for a diesel if available.. or if pre 65.. a gasser.. just mu 2 cents..

soundguy

/ Ford 8n vs 2000 #5  
The ground speed on those straight 4 speed 2000's is pretty fast too. Apparently, that is why Ford came out with a 3 spd. aux. trans. for them and the 3000.

As luck, and I mean LUCK would have it, I happened across a new-in-box one at a Ford-New Holland dealer out in the sticks, in E. Central, Ohio. This was in 2003, and it had been in his parts room since 1973. It was meant to be...

He sold it to me at his cost. Still had the invoice on it, in his records. Still have it here somewhere. $900.00 and some change, I headed home a happy man.

I'm thinking it reduces ground speed approx. 30% in the low side. Then direct, plus OD. A pamphlet with it warns NOT to operate it, over half throttle in 4th, high, as at that rpm, you will be doing nearly 35 mph.

Installed it myself, and what a job... But, it did slow it down, but also the PTO. I did not think of that. Just have to up the rpm's, if you need 540.

And oh yeah..., those 3 cyl's seem to love gas..!! Practically twice as much as my 'lil IH 240 & Super C, and just a little less than my IH 656 gasser.

It does it share of work around here, but mostly for jobs where the power steering makes it a lot easier to do something.

/ Ford 8n vs 2000
What would be a good price to give for it? He is needing money and does not know what it is worth.

Soundguy, The generator has been rebuilt and I have a exta regulator if it needs it.

Thanks,
Philip

/ Ford 8n vs 2000 #7  
We don't know if it is a 3 cylinder with a 6 volt battery in it, a 3 cylinder 2000 with a 12 V battery in it that you think is a 6 volt because it has 6 cells, or an earlier 4 cylinder 2000 that would be correct with a 6 volt battery, but is not a 1965. Very difficult to give you pricing info based on that. If it has decent tires and he will take $1000 for it, you probably can't get hurt.

I don't mean to insult you with my battery comments, but if I had a quarter for every time somebody posted here asking how to tell the difference between a 6 and 12 volt battery, I'd buy myself a nice breakfast tomorrow.

/ Ford 8n vs 2000
We don't know if it is a 3 cylinder with a 6 volt battery in it, a 3 cylinder 2000 with a 12 V battery in it that you think is a 6 volt because it has 6 cells, or an earlier 4 cylinder 2000 that would be correct with a 6 volt battery, but is not a 1965. Very difficult to give you pricing info based on that. If it has decent tires and he will take $1000 for it, you probably can't get hurt.

I don't mean to insult you with my battery comments, but if I had a quarter for every time somebody posted here asking how to tell the difference between a 6 and 12 volt battery, I'd buy myself a nice breakfast tomorrow.

The guy that has it said it is a 6 volt. I will try to go look at it so I will know for sure. He said he does not know much about tractors.

Thanks.

/ Ford 8n vs 2000 #9  
a 6v 2000 will be a 4 cyl.. thus a reworked 641, if it is a 4spd.

still can't get hurt at 1000$ if it has no major defects.

soundguy

/ Ford 8n vs 2000 #10  
And oh yeah..., those 3 cyl's seem to love gas..!!

if it has the original holley carb.. they are pretty darn economical on gas.. though replacement zenith carbs maydrink fuel pretty good...

soundguy