Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion

/ Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion #42  
Your 79 F150 351W, what mods did you do?

It's been a few years back now (2006) so I'm going from memory here:

'78 block bored .060" over
Flat top hyperutectic pistons, about 9.5:1 CR
ARP chromoly rod, main, head bolts
E7TE heads ported, polished and bowl blended
Comp Xtreme4x4 cam, a little under .500" lift, short duration
Comp roller-rockers
Edelbrock performer intake
Quadrajet 4bbl carb
GM HEI ignition

Basically a low-end torque motor for rock crawling and off-roading. Pretty mild build, a little over 300hp/400lb-ft. I have another 351w on my engine stand waiting to be built for the same truck, this time stroked out to 408", 10.5:1 CR, World Windsor JR heads, balanced/blueprinted and full roller valvetrain. Hope to be well north of 400hp/500lb-ft :cool:

/ Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion
Great motor. And the next one is even more awesome, a 408W!
Bad news on my8N tractor project. Wife says I have to finish and dispose of 4 of my other tractors before I can start working on this one! Guess I better get crackin' on those. By spring, the 351W 8N should be back on track. Since I am gainfully employed by her and she signs the paychecks, I better start focusing! I can get all the parts lined up and here but no work 'til my old work is complete.

Oh Oh - The 351 Windsor I was picking up turned out to be a 351 Cleveland so it will not fit my brackets.
So now I am looking at a 302 Ford out of an 1984 LTD Saturday. I am supposed to be able to hear it run, always a good thing. Not quite as impressive as the 351W but still should be a sweet conversion.
I did order a ROPS with seat belt, just in case.
When I find the motor I want, I will start a new thread.

/ Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion #45  
Thanks for the pictures

/ Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion #46  
Have you done this conversion yet ? Where will you get the adapter plate kit for the 351 swap ? I hope you will post pics of the process & completed project . I am hoping to do a flathead v8 100 hp conversion before the Lord takes me home . My engine is ready for a machine shop as soon as I find a reputable shop to take it too . I got ripped good when I had my 1952 6 cyl OHV engine machined . They quoted me one price for an engine ready to be installed into my 1952 8n . But when I went to pick it up , the price was double , they loaded a bare block & everything else in boxes into my truck minus pistons , rings , gasket kit , & all the bearings needed . Plus they lost my fan blade hub assembly . So, this time I'm a little more conservative about a shop . I hope to see your completed project soon . God bless , singleken45

Actually, I switched the project up a bit. The 351 Windsor turned out to be a Cleveland and would not work forthe adapter so I went with a 302.

Here is a link to the web page for the project .
http://http://wploetz.jalbum.net/Frank-N-Ford/
and the new thread
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/295700-1952-ford-8n-302-v8.html

Have you done this conversion yet ? Where will you get the adapter plate kit for the 351 swap ? I hope you will post pics of the process & completed project . I am hoping to do a flathead v8 100 hp conversion before the Lord takes me home . My engine is ready for a machine shop as soon as I find a reputable shop to take it too . I got ripped good when I had my 1952 6 cyl OHV engine machined . They quoted me one price for an engine ready to be installed into my 1952 8n . But when I went to pick it up , the price was double , they loaded a bare block & everything else in boxes into my truck minus pistons , rings , gasket kit , & all the bearings needed . Plus they lost my fan blade hub assembly . So, this time I'm a little more conservative about a shop . I hope to see your completed project soon . God bless , singleken45

/ Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion #48  
Oh Oh - The 351 Windsor I was picking up turned out to be a 351 Cleveland so it will not fit my brackets.
So now I am looking at a 302 Ford out of an 1984 LTD Saturday. I am supposed to be able to hear it run, always a good thing. Not quite as impressive as the 351W but still should be a sweet conversion.
I did order a ROPS with seat belt, just in case.
When I find the motor I want, I will start a new thread.
Would have been an outrageous waste of a Cleveland, anyways.

/ Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion #49  
Where do you get the adaptor plates to do the project ? Around here parts like that are not available . God bless, Ken