ford 8n wont turn over

/ ford 8n wont turn over #1  

motox1794

Tractor
ford 8n
ok here it goes. A couple of days ago I was plowing the snow with my old 8n and all of a sudden it stopped running. I founb that the sedimate bowl had fallen off. I looked everywhere and couldnt find it. I dragged it out of the middle of the road and parked it. I bought a new sedimate bowl assembly and installed it this morning. I went to start it and noticed I had left the key on. I know I'm a dumb *** for that. I hooked up the charger and even after an hour still getting nothing. Its got a newer battery in it (about 2 years old). It's still the 6v system. Did I burn something up? Should I get a new battery? I dont know that much about these things. Please help me

/ ford 8n wont turn over #2  
This is a pretty basic question but did you charge it with a 6v charger? Preferably you should use a 6v charger for charging up a 6v battery. I have heard of guys using a 12v running no more than 2amp in a pinch but I doubt this is the most preferable way.

I believe the 6v coils have a resistor or a fusible link on them hence why when you convert the tractor to 12v you have to put in a new coil. Are you at least getting the engine to turn over or is it dead in the water? If its cranking than the next thing you need to check for is spark.

Hopefully Soundguy will chime in. He's the subject expert on old iron here especially with Fords. If he doesn't reply I suggest you send him a message. He has helped me tons with diagnosing older style electrical systems with voltage regulators and generators and such.

/ ford 8n wont turn over
Yes I am using a 6v charger. It will not crank at all. I have the charger on it and still getting nothing it's almost like the battery is disconnected. I hit the button and get nothing

/ ford 8n wont turn over #4  
Yes I am using a 6v charger. It will not crank at all. I have the charger on it and still getting nothing it's almost like the battery is disconnected. I hit the button and get nothing

If you have the charger still connected and you push the start button are you hearing a clicking sound? If you are than thats the solenoid engaging on the starter most likely and your electrical system should be good to go but your battery is lacking the cranking amps to turn the motor over. If it is doing that than most likely your battery is starting to get a little tired.

/ ford 8n wont turn over
I'm not hearing any clicking. I'm gonna charge the battery over night and see what happens.

/ ford 8n wont turn over #6  
:welcome:
To the forum. Sorry it has to be a problem that brung ya.

/ ford 8n wont turn over #8  
If it has key on, is in N and fails to spin when you press the button, I would check the voltage at the battery and starter. Check that the key switch is working. Verify the starter didn't get iced up from melted snow while sitting if every thing else looks good.