ford 907 flail burning belts

/ ford 907 flail burning belts #11  
If new belts are riding proud in the sheaves and the tension is correct the only other explanation is you are traveling to fast for the tall/thick grass you are trying to cut. Slow down or take multiple cuts to minimize the load on the belt, a little bit of pitting in the sheaves will not hurt the belt as long as it is smooth.

/ ford 907 flail burning belts #12  
I have an old ford 907 flail mower that is burning belts like crazy if it gets in taller grass. it sat unused for 10 years or so and recently started using it again. everything seems to spin free. I am using gates belts. it is a C section belt. any ideas where to start looking into this?

Since it sat unused for 10 years, have you checked if the idler assembly working as it's supposed to IE. keeping the belt tight?

I got this 917L mower little over year ago and the idler pivot was bone dry and would not move freely.

IMG_4372.JPG

/ ford 907 flail burning belts
Since it sat unused for 10 years, have you checked if the idler assembly working as it's supposed to IE. keeping the belt tight?

I got this 917L mower little over year ago and the idler pivot was bone dry and would not move freely.

View attachment 710400
the idler on mine is not spring tightening, it has an all thread bolt that pulls the idler tight. I like the improvements they made on the 917. bushed sheaves vs splined, 2 belts vs 1 and the spring tensioner.

/ ford 907 flail burning belts
If new belts are riding proud in the sheaves and the tension is correct the only other explanation is you are traveling to fast for the tall/thick grass you are trying to cut. Slow down or take multiple cuts to minimize the load on the belt, a little bit of pitting in the sheaves will not hurt the belt as long as it is smooth.
I'll try and take a few pictures when I'm back down there and put a new belt on. most of the grass I was mowing is food plots that are planted every fall, that is the only time they are mowed. most of the grass/weeds are knee tall with a few thigh high. I was probably mowing between 3-4 mph. is this mower only designed for yard use?

/ ford 907 flail burning belts #15  
It take's a C section belt and I can't find any CX belts in a C51 i think is the size. also can find any kevlar belts either. I have looked at gates and bando.
Wrapped Kevelar (arimid) belts hold up better to slipping and don't burn through as quick. However they wear out the pulleys faster.
is this mower only designed for yard use?
The Alamo SHD series mowers from 72 to 96" all use a single C series 54" raw edge belt. The prior owners always used C54 belts and wore out the pulley on the upper drive. Glad to hear that your pulleys are good. The single C belt is up to transmitting over 40hp. If Alamo, who makes many of the roadside mowers finds it up to the job, you will too, once you get the right belt on it.

/ ford 907 flail burning belts #16  
the idler on mine is not spring tightening, it has an all thread bolt that pulls the idler tight. I like the improvements they made on the 917. bushed sheaves vs splined, 2 belts vs 1 and the spring tensioner.

Sounds good!

I would like to point out 917 and 917L mowers are quite different with 917L like mine being the light duty model, designed only for "side slicer" flails.

Other members here are more familiar with the 917 design.

917L:
Ford 917L Flail Mower VI.JPG

/ ford 907 flail burning belts #17  
Try some belt dressing and make sure the belt is tight.

/ ford 907 flail burning belts #18  
INFO FOR RIDING LAWN MOWERS!

Spec say you should have the wheels
2 inches off the ground

willy

/ ford 907 flail burning belts #19  
I check belt tension every time I use the flail mower. New/replaced belts may loosen up at first while they seat on the pulleys. Can't check 'em too often. IMO if a flail takes more 'pull' than a rotary it's because it's mulching more than flinging what's cut. btw, I wouldn't trade hammers for knives.

/ ford 907 flail burning belts #20  
Good 40 year old Ford flail mower has a simple automatic belt tensioner that woks, no need to readjust manually!

:sneaky:

IMG_4372.JPG