Ford 907 idler pulley assembly

/ Ford 907 idler pulley assembly #1  

ThomasL

Tractor
MF135, New Holland TL80, Case VAC
The 907 flail mower I got doesn't have any of the idler pulley bracket, arm or spring. I've bought a new belt and pulley. My question is can I skip the whole spring and arm and just make an adjustable bracket for the pulley to mount to. I would make it with slots to manually adjust the belt tension. Does anyone see any problems with this? Thanks

/ Ford 907 idler pulley assembly #2  
The first issue I would have with your arrangement is keeping the gear box aligned with the pulley shafts. The sleeve between the gearbox output shaft and the pulley shaft is not made to absorb this misalignment and will have a limited life. You could replace the sleeve with a universal joint but you are going to have to shorten the pulley shaft and matching a universal to your shaft's ends may be difficult.
Secondly, the idler pulley gives a measure of safety if you were to strike an object, stopping the flail rotor. The belt will slip, protecting the drive train. A very tight belt may not offer that protection.
I would think a welding shop could fab a U shaped bracket with a pipe pivot point on one end and the same pipe as a spacer on the idler end. Most farm stores carry idler pulleys and tension springs to finish the job. Good luck.

/ Ford 907 idler pulley assembly #3  
Using the original idler pulley mounted on an adjustable arm, I don't see why it wouldn't, but the original swing arm tensioner with a spring would be pretty easy to fabricate

/ Ford 907 idler pulley assembly #4  
I’m interested in trying to adapt an automotive serpentine belt tensioner to my Ford 917, so that maybe an option for you.

/ Ford 907 idler pulley assembly
Can any of you post pictures of what you're referring to?

/ Ford 907 idler pulley assembly #6  

Attached parts diagram shows pivot arm, spring and pulley. Idler pulley appears to be available, at a reasonable price. Pivot arm could be fabricated with bent flat iron and a pipe with inner sleeve. Price of spring is outrageous, but a cheap sub might be found at the hardware store.

/ Ford 907 idler pulley assembly #7  
Serpentine Belt Tensioner

Serpentine Belt Tensioner.jpg