Ford 960 info requested

/ Ford 960 info requested #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
I looked at a 1956 Ford 960 that came on the market recently. Drove it and it seemed OK. However, the PTO could not be engaged unless the engine was stopped.
Can this problem be fixed with a clutch adjustment or does the clutch have to be replaced?

/ Ford 960 info requested #2  
The 960 has a 2 stage clutch.. either the pto stage is locked up or it is misadjusted.. badly... guess could be a mechanical problem needing replacement inthe clutch as well.. but I'd check to see if it is locked up first.

Got a good pto load you can hookup to it and then start her up with the clutch blocked down.. sometimes just doing that unsticks them.. other times driving it to the field and mowing a bit with a mower on it with the clutch blocked will unstick it.

key is.. 1st stage is the drivetrain.. 2nd is the pto.. IE.. press a lil to stop movement of tractor.. all the way to kill pto..

hows the other part of the clutch werkin' for ya?

soundguy

/ Ford 960 info requested
The 960 has a 2 stage clutch.. either the pto stage is locked up or it is misadjusted.. badly... guess could be a mechanical problem needing replacement inthe clutch as well.. but I'd check to see if it is locked up first.

Got a good pto load you can hookup to it and then start her up with the clutch blocked down.. sometimes just doing that unsticks them.. other times driving it to the field and mowing a bit with a mower on it with the clutch blocked will unstick it.

key is.. 1st stage is the drivetrain.. 2nd is the pto.. IE.. press a lil to stop movement of tractor.. all the way to kill pto..

soundguy

The 1st stage clutch seems to work OK. It's the 2nd stage that's not working right.

soundguy

If I understand right, I should put a mower on the pto, put a block under the clutch pedal so only the 1st stage operates, shift the pto into gear, start the engine. And then what?

If that pto clutch is locked up, instead of a 2-stage clutch, I really just have a single stage clutch.

If the pto clutch is locked up (i.e. won't release) and I get the mower spinning, do I need to install an overrunning clutch in case this doesn't free up the pto clutch? You know, to keep the mower inertia from shoving the tractor forward.

/ Ford 960 info requested #5  
This isn't a permanent setup here.. no orc needed.. the ide is to stres sthe stuck bond if tht is what it is.

Now.. with the clutch all the way down.. i assume you can shift the pto. yes?

by any chance has the clutch rod been moved to the pivot hole for the pedal that would decrease the amount of pedal movement.. and thus not let you disengage the pto section of the clutch?

soundguy

This isn't a permanent setup here.. no orc needed.. the ide is to stres sthe stuck bond if tht is what it is.

Now.. with the clutch all the way down.. i assume you can shift the pto. yes?

by any chance has the clutch rod been moved to the pivot hole for the pedal that would decrease the amount of pedal movement.. and thus not let you disengage the pto section of the clutch?

soundguy

Don't know. I looked at the tractor and passed on it.