Ford and Powerstroke Engines

/ Ford and Powerstroke Engines #51  
L39Builder said:

FWIW, ford even used Detroit (GM owned) 8.2L "fuel pincher" diesels (junk) along with allison transmissions. So in some cases, you could get a Ford medium duty truck with a GM owned diesel and transmission in it! Those were Ford's lowest years, IMO.

QUOTE]

you know whats funny about that statement???

I've heard the same thing, but we had four GMC trucks with that engine (GMC 7000 series) and never had any problems with the engines.

most of em ran into the 200k+ range before we retired them, one is still used as a spare.

/ Ford and Powerstroke Engines #52  
Properly used, they will be fine, but they tend to have head gasket issues.

Look at the power output for 8.2 litres, they put out about the lowest HP of any diesel ever made.

/ Ford and Powerstroke Engines #53  
Turbys_1700 said:
I got you beat. My 03 F350 dually 4x4 Crew Cab has 66K on the clock. I got the last of the 7.3's in my truck and could not be happier. Running an 80 HP program she doesn't know that my 30' fifth wheel camper is behind her. I'm 47 and won't trade her until I retire Lord willing.

and it sounds tougher than the 6.0 too :D

~paul

/ Ford and Powerstroke Engines #54  
I wish that Ford could have figgered out a way to get the 7.3 to meet emissions. That would have been the ticket.

/ Ford and Powerstroke Engines #55  
Turbys_1700 said:
I wish that Ford could have figgered out a way to get the 7.3 to meet emissions. That would have been the ticket.

People have been saying that for many years. The bottom ends are tough, the displacement is already there. Notice Cummins went from 5.9L to 6.7L?

Too bad they couldn't have gone to a 32V (4 valve/cyl) aluminum head, then added the twin turbos and the EGR. Plenty of torque and reliability in a proven motor only lighter and more responsive than the old Powerstroke.

/ Ford and Powerstroke Engines #56  
L39Builder said:
Properly used, they will be fine, but they tend to have head gasket issues.

Look at the power output for 8.2 litres, they put out about the lowest HP of any diesel ever made.

we were using them in our service trucks, not overloaded duty or pulling anything, so they worked out fine.