Loader Ford Backhoe Serial Number

/ Ford Backhoe Serial Number #11  
Unless I missed the pic, I didnt see one of the model code and serial tag.

That last picture looks like the info for the CAV injector pump only.

The model codes and serial # should be STAMPED into the casting on a little flat spot right by the starter. Might have to clean off some grime to see it.

But looking it over it appears to be a 4500 TLB for sure. With a 755 (HD-15) BH attachment and 740 series front loader. Which about all the 740 loaders I have see have multiple patches.

As to if its worth messing with, depends on if you can even get it to run, and how much you plan to work on it with upkeep. And any old backhoe needs upkeep. Fixing leaks, replacing hoses, breaking things. If you are able and willing to work on it, it could make a fine machine. But in the condition it is in, provided you get it running and there is nothing major wrong, 3000-3500 is top dollar IMO. And less if there is major issues. Like reallly sloppy pins in the hoe, major leaks, etc.

One thing to really look for is the loader frame itself. It acts as a hydraulic reservoir. If it has any cracks, or patches, look them over carefully. I am talking about the part bolted to the tractor, not the lift arms that are already patched.

/ Ford Backhoe Serial Number #12  
Unless I missed the pic, I didnt see one of the model code and serial tag.

That last picture looks like the info for the CAV injector pump only.

The model codes and serial # should be STAMPED into the casting on a little flat spot right by the starter. Might have to clean off some grime to see it.

But looking it over it appears to be a 4500 TLB for sure. With a 755 (HD-15) BH attachment and 740 series front loader. Which about all the 740 loaders I have see have multiple patches.

As to if its worth messing with, depends on if you can even get it to run, and how much you plan to work on it with upkeep. And any old backhoe needs upkeep. Fixing leaks, replacing hoses, breaking things. If you are able and willing to work on it, it could make a fine machine. But in the condition it is in, provided you get it running and there is nothing major wrong, 3000-3500 is top dollar IMO. And less if there is major issues. Like reallly sloppy pins in the hoe, major leaks, etc.

One thing to really look for is the loader frame itself. It acts as a hydraulic reservoir. If it has any cracks, or patches, look them over carefully. I am talking about the part bolted to the tractor, not the lift arms that are already patched.

I agree completely. I owned and operated a 4500 TLB for 17 years. It was a strong machine. I sold it 10 years ago and I still see it on the go. This one appears to be well worn, but it may have lots of life left in it yet.

/ Ford Backhoe Serial Number #13  
2500-3000 is top dollar.

It needs $2000 in tires.
$200 in battery
$300 hoses (if not now, then soon. Full set is$1000)
$ 1500+ for pins and bushings. Thats the diy price too! Pro done is waaaaaay higher.
$2-3000 engine rebuild if needed, double that fi someone else does the split.
$2-3000 transmission rebuild if needed, double if someone else does the split.
$5-600 clutch ... parts only
$600+ for injection pump rebuild +$50 per injector
Then there is brakes, steering pivots, kingpins, etc, cooling system, hydraulic pump and fluid, filters, exhaust, etc.

After minimally going through it, you will easily have $8-12,000 in it. If you have to pay a mechanic, lots more $$. Is it a bargain at that price?

Unless you are a well equipped mechanic able to deal with 1000-1500 pound items, can deal with huge bolts rust welded in place and/or broken off .... AND you just love adversity and a challenge ... you will be better off with one decades newer for $8-10,000.

/ Ford Backhoe Serial Number #14  
2500-3000 is top dollar.

It needs $2000 in tires.
$200 in battery
$300 hoses (if not now, then soon. Full set is$1000)
$ 1500+ for pins and bushings. Thats the diy price too! Pro done is waaaaaay higher.
$2-3000 engine rebuild if needed, double that fi someone else does the split.
$2-3000 transmission rebuild if needed, double if someone else does the split.
$5-600 clutch ... parts only
$600+ for injection pump rebuild +$50 per injector
Then there is brakes, steering pivots, kingpins, etc, cooling system, hydraulic pump and fluid, filters, exhaust, etc.

After minimally going through it, you will easily have $8-12,000 in it. If you have to pay a mechanic, lots more $$. Is it a bargain at that price?

Unless you are a well equipped mechanic able to deal with 1000-1500 pound items, can deal with huge bolts rust welded in place and/or broken off .... AND you just love adversity and a challenge ... you will be better off with one decades newer for $8-10,000.

All of that is only if you want it to be in mint condition. And one decades newer (but likely similar hours) may still need ALL of the items you listed.

For occasional use, there is nothing wrong with an old sloppy wore out machine. The pins may be a little loose, and the tires may slowly leak over time, and may run rough and leak a little oil. But for an occasional user, nothing wrong with that. You can spend 20k on a TLB if you want, it still isnt going to be perfect in all aspects, and is still going to need some upkeep and TLC.

IF I were interested in buying it vs one a decade or two newer, my decision would be based on how often I plan on using it. If a few times a year, I'd say get the older one provided nothing major is wrong and keep the fluids topped off. A few buckets of hydro oil is cheaper than fixing if it isnt used often. Now if you plan on using several times a month, its a different story for sure.