Ford Jubilee - NAA

/ Ford Jubilee - NAA #11  
Jim, I'm glad to see someone else who appreciates "vintage" tractors. I have a 1951 Ferguson TO-20, very similar to the Jubilee, and I love it. Runs great and easy to operate, and it's just cool to have a machine that's been in use for 50 years, and still runs perfectly!

Rich

/ Ford Jubilee - NAA #12  
John, please...I took no offense whatsoever to your comments. I just cursed under my breath that the tractor you are talking about wasn't closer to Texas. Like ErnieB said in his post, a fair Jubilee will easily bring $4,000 here and and an 8N will bring $3,500 with a used cutter. They are very popular as mowing tractors because of their simplicity, low height, short wheelbase/small turn radius, and a gasoline engine that just seems to run forever. Oops! Here I go again...

At any rate, John, you make very valid points about more capable tractors. No need to retract any of your statements. I figure it's like owning a '57 Chevy and a new 'vette. There is no argument that the 'vette is far superior, but for some reason you "feel superior" cruising in that '57 Bel Air.

JimI

/ Ford Jubilee - NAA #13  
Rob, in response to your question about the Jubilee and its value, I have to say I am very biased. So, take my comments as coming from a guy who has developed a "love affair" with his little tractor over 10 years. I grew up operating a TO-20 Ferguson from the time I was 9 years old (I was very big for my age). The NAA is a big step up from there. Although I looked at several 8Ns before the NAA, I was sold by it's slightly longer wheelbase, overhead valve engine, and improved live (works with clutch depressed) hydraulics. There are two types of engine driven pumps on the NAAs and even some of the 600s have what is called a "Hytrol" valve on the vane type hydraulic pump which is a volumetric flow adjustment rather than a pressure adjustment. It was designed to improve the response of the draft control sensing (draft and position control are standard). The lift at the 3 pt arms is about 2,000 lb. An improved piston-wobble plate hydraulic pump was added (an option I believe) and this is the type I have. It works very much like the hydrostatic pumps/motors in our compact tractors.

The 31hp engine (at a mere 2000 rpm) is underrated. This 2WD tractor can easily spin the rear tires in both lower gears (has 4 FWDs/1 REV). The clutch on the left side is very intuitive to anyone who drives a std. shift auto. The right side has dual brake pedals for differential braking, but both can easily be depressed. Although my engine smokes (uses a quart in eight hours' work) I converted the ignition to 12 volts and installed anti-foul adapters on my plugs. It starts instantly and I clean plugs about once per year. dripping type fluid leaks are few on my tractor.

If you wish, you can find every piece of sheet metal, gasoline tank, tuneup kits, and a vast array of addons to fit. Your New Holland dealer still carries most parts and even engine overhaul kits.

How is the tractor to operate? I think it's simple. The PTO is strong, but not a live PTO and it has to have an overrun clutch (ratchet). A tank of fuel will easily last 10 hours or more. Can you do "real dirt work" with it? Yes, see the attachment. I built a 36' x 36' pad for a 24' x 24' portable building. I used only my 3 pt dirt scoop to haul in the dirt and my boxblade to level everything out. Also, the tractor is just as comfortable pulling a 2-bottom plow ( the original adds. said 3-bottoms). My Dearborn row cultivator and middle buster are no challenge.

There are many old Ford tractors which have the same functionality. The 600s and 800s are also strong. Like anything this old, you always have to be very careful you are buying a working tractor instead of someone's junk. I think it fits perfectly as a second tractor in addition my TC45D. After all, if you have lots of implements, it's nice to have them hitched and ready to go. How does the Jubilee compare to the TC45D? It doesn't. The NAA is simple and straight forward. You just cannot compare a 2WD '50s tractor to the TC45. I suspect if compared to a 2WD TC29 with no FEL and Ag tires, the NAA might surprise a few folks./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif ...and there is something so cool about looking out over that classic hood./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

JimI

Attachments

• 14-56043-PadSite.JPG
    14-56043-PadSite.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 456
   / Ford Jubilee - NAA #14  
Thanks for all the info Jim. It sounds like you've got a real sweet tractor there. It would appear the old Fords were designed foremost as ag tractors while the current compacts are designed more as landscape tractors. Kind of makes sense as most real farming these days is done with machines much larger than our compacts. I didn't have much chance to reminisce with my now late father-in-law, but apparently he farmed some of the land around our current subdivision with the Jubilee. Pulled a two or three bottom plow for hours on end. Sounds fun to me /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Thanks again for the trip down memory lane. I didn't have a chance to show my wife last night, but I should tonight /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

15-43440-790signaturegif.gif

/ Ford Jubilee - NAA
Wow, what a response. Until last fall my father had a 981 and the NAA apprears to be quite similar. I think Ford started making the 600-900 series right after the NAA, so I guess it's no suprise they look an awful lot alike. Jim, what a beauty. You did a wonderful job restoring yours. I too, with my 40D to do most of the work, would like one mostly as a hobby and for the occasional light jobs and to pull the hay wagon for the family outings. One question, does the NAA have power steering?

/ Ford Jubilee - NAA #16  
No Duane, the NAA has "armstrong" steering. With the large diameter steering wheel, under normal loads and with movement, the steering is quite easy. If you are sitting still, it's a bit tough and I've heard that with a loader steering is considered an aerobic workout. Also, I failed to mention that the brakes are mechanical, but they have a handy little piece of engineering which causes the brake to self engage once the pedal is depressed. This gives the same effect as power brakes and works quite well on my tractor. I'm just glad the brakes are not hydraulic like some old International tractors are.

JimI

/ Ford Jubilee - NAA #17  
Rich, I didn't skip responding to your post on purpose, but I'm sure you noticed that I said I grew up with a TO-20. My brother has a TO-30 and it is also a nice old tractor. Except for parts availability, I rate the TOs right up there with the Fords. With proper care I think they could last forever.

JimI

/ Ford Jubilee - NAA #18  
Don't worry, Jim, I wasn't offended./w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif I love your descriptions of the Jubilee, and vintage tractors in general. I think many people don't take these old tractors seriously enough, but like you I wouldn't hesitate to compare them with a SIMILIARLY EQUIPPED contemporary tractor. I have a friend with a comtemporary Belauris, who often borrows my Ferguson, because it's easier to operate and handle. Of course a Belauris isn't even close to the big three, but you get my point./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Based on all this, I'm going to lobby Mohammed again for a vintage tractor forum on TBN!!/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Rich

/ Ford Jubilee - NAA #19  
I know this is an old post, but I always loved the old Ford tractors. Oh and is that ford still for sale? I can always use a new project. For me the old fords are a modern tractor. Only real one I have any expearance with is my fathers old IH "C".

18-29691-tractor.gif
18-30376-Paul.jpg

a-usa.gif

/ Ford Jubilee - NAA #20  
Since this resurfaced, I thought I would describe my dad's (or mine, my brother owned the David Brown) 1956 Ford 800. It is the NAA's bigger (42 horse) newer brother. No power steering, 2 stage clutch, live hydraulics. It is amazing that the 2 stage clutch system that came into being in the mid '50's is still prevalent today. It is reflex for me on my Kubota to stomp on the clutch to stop the pto, not flick the little hydraulic lever.

The transmission was unique, only one I have ever heard of/seen that shifted vertically. Standard 6 pos. H pattern on end. Half way down forward/back for 1-2, full up 3-R, full down 4-5. 3rd was a nice working gear, so you effectively had a shuttle shift.

We put a HEAVY DUTY loader on it, really needed about 1/2 again more tractor for the loader but it worked. I was carrying a 12' oak gate on chains (welded on center mounted chain hook) when BOTH front tires exploded on me, looked original, were probably not rated for a loader, especially a 1970's massive thing. I thought I'd been shot. As jinman said, horsing that steering wheel around was a job, 'specially for a 12 yr old. Setting still it could not be done (by my Dad either). Wasn't a problem so long as you didn't have a load in the bucket, simply put the bucket down, the front of the tractor would instantly go up, turn the wheels to where you want, and back up with the loader. I guess that is sorta hydraulic steering. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif The loader is gone now, as we are out of the hog raising business (was primarily for cleaning the barn), so the tractor is back to being a respectable useful tractor, rather than the behemoth it was.

Dad did a major engine overhaul a few years ago, crank bearings were making noise that they were going to egress a connecting rod. Yes, oversized crank bearings were readily available, as is pretty much everything. Very simple engine.

It is a sweet, nimble little tractor. So low slung that it will slide off a hill long before falling over. I am actually much more comfortable on hills with it than I would be with my Kubota. Those saddle tractors are just STABLE! I fully expect to inherit that tractor when Dad is done with it in 30-40 yrs. Not that I am necessarily looking forward to it, as he will have to no longer be with us to give up his little Ford.

I have wonderful childhood memories of that tractor. First thing I ever learned to drive, at 5 yrs old.

As has been said above, I could go on, but . . .

Nick

Farmer kid usetabe, Farmer Wannabe