Ford NH 655D backhoe fan belt change

/ Ford NH 655D backhoe fan belt change #1  

landrand

Bronze Member
Tractor
Internation 674, John Deer 6400, Kubota BX2670, Ford New Holland 655D
I have a Ford 655d backhoe and I'm looking to replace the fan belt. In the front of the tractor theres a hydraulic pump that is driven off the engine crankshaft. I'm wondering how I'm supposed to get the fan belt over the shaft that is between the engine and hydraulic pump? I'm not even sure how i can access the area to remove the shaft so I can slip the belt around the shaft and engine pulley. Anybody out there that has replaced the fan belt on the Ford NH backhoes? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

/ Ford NH 655D backhoe fan belt change #2  
I think it is similar to the 550.

First lift the FEL all the way up and brace it.

You have to get the four bolts out of the crankshaft pulley drive hub .

Then push the shaft toward the pump as far as it will go and then the drive hub should be able to be moved to the side- clearing the crank shaft pulley.

At this point a new belt can be installed, then reposition the drive hub and reinstall the hub bolts.

I put some blue lock tight on the 550 bolts.

PS as an alternative I have heard some folks buy a link belt and then there is no need to remove the U joint driveshaft.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
   / Ford NH 655D backhoe fan belt change #3  
I guess you have to cut the old belt to get it off. Mark where you cut belt so you can cut new one in same place and put it on over shaft. Go to grocery store and get an emergency fan belt kit and splice new belt back together.

Nope, you can un bolt the pump and slide it frontwards. Shaft is splined. You don't need to move but a couple inches. I've taken a few 555 down and mainly replaced flex plate flywheel most times. That means split the back hoe apart. Not sure about 655 but it has to be very similar. John Deere uses a coupler.

/ Ford NH 655D backhoe fan belt change #4  
sd455dan is right. Sometimes helps to loosen two bolts on pump too to give a little more room, but not too difficult. Good time to grease the u-joints on the pump drive too.

/ Ford NH 655D backhoe fan belt change
I think it is similar to the 550.

First lift the FEL all the way up and brace it.

You have to get the four bolts out of the crankshaft pulley drive hub .

Then push the shaft toward the pump as far as it will go and then the drive hub should be able to be moved to the side- clearing the crank shaft pulley.

At this point a new belt can be installed, then reposition the drive hub and reinstall the hub bolts.

I put some blue lock tight on the 550 bolts.

PS as an alternative I have heard some folks buy a link belt and then there is no need to remove the U joint driveshaft.

Hope this helps.
Per your directions, I was able to loosen two bolts on the crankshaft pulleyon the left side after removing alternator. I don't know how im going to reach the other two bolts in the other side. Ive tried for well over an hour with all my wrenches and theres no way i can get enough room to get to these bolts out. Any ideas?

I guess you have to cut the old belt to get it off. Mark where you cut belt so you can cut new one in same place and put it on over shaft. Go to grocery store and get an emergency fan belt kit and splice new belt back together.

Nope, you can un bolt the pump and slide it frontwards. Shaft is splined. You don't need to move but a couple inches. I've taken a few 555 down and mainly replaced flex plate flywheel most times. That means split the back hoe apart. Not sure about 655 but it has to be very similar. John Deere uses a coupler.
Do I have to take off the 4 bolts on the fly wheel pulley or can I just unbolt the pump and slide it fowards to separate the spline and then slip on the belt? Thanks for your help!

/ Ford NH 655D backhoe fan belt change #7  
Well, you could try unbolting the pump and slide it that way, but you can also bump the starter to get the bolts where you can access them.
Detach the wire on the injection pump solenoid to prevent it from starting and make sure ALL of your tools are out of the work area.
Likewise, once you have the belt on and have installed two bolts on the driveshaft to the drive pulley, you can bump the engine over to access the other bolts.

Well, you could try unbolting the pump and slide it that way, but you can also bump the starter to get the bolts where you can access them.
Detach the wire on the injection pump solenoid to prevent it from starting and make sure ALL of your tools are out of the work area.
Likewise, once you have the belt on and have installed two bolts on the driveshaft to the drive pulley, you can bump the engine over to access the other bolts.
Ok. I'll give that a try. Thanks!

/ Ford NH 655D backhoe fan belt change #9  
Per your directions, I was able to loosen two bolts on the crankshaft pulleyon the left side after removing alternator. I don't know how im going to reach the other two bolts in the other side. Ive tried for well over an hour with all my wrenches and theres no way i can get enough room to get to these bolts out. Any ideas?
I left the alternator on and slowly rolled the crankshaft over using arm strength and the belt. That way you can position the bolts in the same position of the two already removed.

If you can't turn the crank by hand may have to put a small bar or screw driver through the U joint(s) to turn the crank.
A chain wrench around the U joint might work as well.

You need to rotate the crank to get to those other bolts.

My TLB has the power reverser so it is always put in neutral when the engine is shut off ,if yours has a manual it will need to be in neutral to turn the crankshaft so the other two bolts can be accessed.
hope this helps.
If all else fails AS above,

a light tap on the starter can get the crank aligned,- but please be careful.

Last edited:
   / Ford NH 655D backhoe fan belt change #10  
I left the alternator on and slowly rolled the crankshaft over using arm strength and the belt. That way you can position the bolts in the same position of the two already removed.

If you can't turn the crank by hand may have to put a small bar or screw driver through the U joint(s) to turn the crank.
A chain wrench around the U joint might work as well.

You need to rotate the crank to get to those other bolts.

My TLB has the power reverser so it is always put in neutral when the engine is shut off ,if yours has a manual it will need to be in neutral to turn the crankshaft so the other two bolts can be accessed.
hope this helps.
If all else fails AS above,

a light tap on the starter can get the crank aligned,- but please be careful.
Sometimes just can’t roll the engine by hand or with a bar through the joint, but many methods to accomplish the task are always good.