Ford Powermaster VRS Kubota 4200

/ Ford Powermaster VRS Kubota 4200 #1  

851 roger

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 851 Powermaster
I have a question for the experts-----------------
I currently have a 62hp Ford power master. I'm looking at a 42hp diesel Kubota.
The main reason for the switch is, the Kubota has power steering and will go really slow for tilling.
The question is---will the 42hp Kubota do what the 62hp Ford does?

/ Ford Powermaster VRS Kubota 4200 #2  
Just a guess but the Ford is 2wd and gear transmission and the Kubota is 4wd with HST. ?? I think one tractor will do some things better than the other. Kubota for tilling - Ford for pulling a large gang of plows. Maybe you need both.

Not an expert - let's establish that.

/ Ford Powermaster VRS Kubota 4200 #3  
Well, we need to know "what the 62hp Ford does" for you. 62 HP is the gross engine hp on the Ford. If you have the gas model, belt power was tested at 48. The diesel closer to 40. PTO HP will be pretty close to this figure, although, you certainly may have lost a few HP over the last 60 years. PTO HP fit for the Kubota is 37, so it's not too far behind, and it has several more gear choices, which makes it much more usable.

Like I said, it'll depend on the tasks at hand, and also how the Kubota was optioned. Does it have ag tires or industrials? 2wd or 4? With a loader or without? If it's got 4wd, ag tires and a loader, it's gonna be heavier than your Ford and have more traction. Less drawbar HP, but better ability to put HP to the ground. A 2wd with R4s is not gonna pull nearly as hard as your Ford. Without knowing all the details though, I will say this: I'd pick the Kubota over the Ford any day of the week for any task you could think of.

/ Ford Powermaster VRS Kubota 4200 #4  
Just a guess but the Ford is 2wd and gear transmission and the Kubota is 4wd with HST. ?? I think one tractor will do some things better than the other. Kubota for tilling - Ford for pulling a large gang of plows. Maybe you need both.

Not an expert - let's establish that.

The Kubota in question was only available with gears. I didn't see which Kubota he was talking about at first, but it's an L4200.

/ Ford Powermaster VRS Kubota 4200 #5  
I think the L4200 will do what you need, its a strong machine. Usually they come with a GST ( glide shift transmission ). IMO

/ Ford Powermaster VRS Kubota 4200
Well, I suppose I could say that most of my tractor work is tilling, box blading, and finish mowing. The garden spot now is 80' x 160', but planning on enlarging to around 2 acres when I retire, which is soon. So far the features on the Kubota are nice and it does have a frontend loader, which I'll just play with, but would come in handy sometimes, I'd probably leave it off most of the time.
The Ford will pull a 2 bottom plow all day long with no problem, but when tilling it's a bit to fast going forward, and there is no power steering. I'm getting older and the steering issue would help me a lot.

Last edited:
   / Ford Powermaster VRS Kubota 4200 #7  
In my estimation, you'll never regret switching to the Kubota. Does it have the glide-shift-transmission? What tires are on it? You'll start finding more uses for that front end loader than you could ever imagine.

/ Ford Powermaster VRS Kubota 4200
It has ag tires and is 4wd with GST.
It's just a lot of green stuff to spend if it's not going to MUCH MUCH better !!!!

/ Ford Powermaster VRS Kubota 4200 #9  
Plow the 2 acres before you sell the Ford. I think you'll find that the Kubota does not compare in that department. You'll probably prefer the Kubota for everything else mentioned.

/ Ford Powermaster VRS Kubota 4200 #10  
It has ag tires and is 4wd with GST.
It's just a lot of green stuff to spend if it's not going to MUCH MUCH better !!!!

It's going to be MUCH MUCH MUCH better.