Ford Proofmeters

/ Ford Proofmeters #1  

timb

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 4710/reverser, JD 318 (still needs TLC), JD LT160
Father in law is rebuilding the hydraulics on his 53 Jubilee and while we were looking things over he mentioned he wouldn't mind having a new proofmeter. The original gave up the ghost (and the needle is broken?!) a long time ago. So I thought I'd suprise him with one (and a new cable).

Looking around there seem to be plenty of places selling repros - is there any feeling as to if one is better than another? Best place to buy?

/ Ford Proofmeters #2  
I have a repro proofmeter on my 52 8n, and one on my 54 NAA ( same as your fil's 53 jubilee ).

I got both from:

Just8ns

They were in the 50 to 60$ range. I also got a cable for my NAA from them.. can't remember the price.. maybee 25$. On my 8n I got the cable from Tisco via order from a TSC store.. about the same price.. maybee a few bucks cheaper, as it was actually ordered for someone else as a special order.. and they never came to get it.. so when I called they were more than happy to sell it to me and didn't charge me the shipping.

The Tisco cable 'looks' skimpier.. however has never had a problem, and I've been using it now for almost 5 years. Both proofmeters work fine.

I'd look for best price, as quality will probably be similar. I think:

Ytmag

Also sells parts... I'd go for best price.

I've bought parts from both places with good results.

Do make sure that it really is a jubilee / 4spd tranny. The hundred series looked virtually identical to the jubilee/naa with only a few very minor cosmetic differences ( and some tangible, though hard to spot mechanical differences... most notably.. 5spd tranny.. )

Soundguy

/ Ford Proofmeters
Soundguy,

I've been to the Just 8Ns site, but we never bought anything through them. I'll probably go through them, then.

The one photo I came across seemed to show a black surround - and I know there are chrome bezels on the gauges. I didn't know if those were separate rings or were supposed to be part of the proofmeter/gauge.

It is a genuine '53 Jubilee - my father-in-law's father-in-law (my wife's grandfather) bought it new in '53 and it's been on the farm ever since. We freshened the engine a few years ago, but it is fundamentally stock and still running fine. It is a 4-speed, although occasionally I keep my eyes open for a Sherman.

/ Ford Proofmeters #4  
Good deal. The new proofmeter will come with a dash grommet.. that is black. off hand I can't remember the color of my bezel.

I've bought thousands of dollars worth of N parts from just8ns for my 4 fords over the years. Good fellas.

Soundguy