Ford Super Duty

/ Ford Super Duty #11  
wow.. 10k$ not a bad price...

I think I'd check the steering parts.. like ball joints, shocks.. etc. I just did them on my f250 with 90some thou onit.. I imagine at near 200k it's likely to need them again.. :)

soundguy

/ Ford Super Duty #12  
John, I ordered my 2001 with what I wanted on it and still have it. She just turned 100K. I put an extended oil filter on it. And a few things here and there. It still runs like new. One thing I would look for that has not been addressed is on the blower there are four bolts that go in from left to right. They were prone to falling out. If they did, the the blower could or would warp. Causing failure. If you need more info you can pm me. I'll be glad to talk to you about it. My business is in the automotive area and I have found probably 25 or so in the last 9 years. Not common but something to be aware of. I also would want the manual tranny if you plan on pulling heavy loads. If yours has an automatic then never pull in overdrive. Mine has the four wheel switch on the dash. The seat belts will make a lot of noise flopping in the wind if the windows are down. Mirrors don't fold forward. Tore one off mine backing up! Put the newer year on that does. Mine listed for 43K and I think I got it for something like 36K. I wouldn't even consider taking 10K for mine. I couldn't replace it for that. Good luck

Last edited:
   / Ford Super Duty #14  
I have owned 3 Ford Super Dutys, 99 F-350, 04 F-250, and a 06 F-350 and they are by far the best truck in my opinion. I also owned a 05 Dmax 3500 and a 04 Ram 2500.

All my trucks were extended cab 4x4's and diesel with the exception of the Ram which was a Hemi. I still own he 04 and 06 Fords and they have been trouble free other than a bad fuel gauge on the 06. My 99 7.3 took a deer to do it in or it would still be on the road.

Chris

/ Ford Super Duty #15  
I have an 06 Ford Super Duty F350 dually 6X6 King Ranch loaded to the nines. It's got the 6.0 in it and it is a dream truck. No problems with it other than a noisy idler bearing. I run synthetic in it and that makes a huge difference in gas mileage.
Mine spends a lot of time pulling tractors around and other heavy stuff. It's a truck and I bought for that purpose. The nice leather inside happened to be there but it also keeps the wife happy when we go out in it at night.
I've had all sorts of other GM's, Dodge and Ford trucks in the past. This one is by far the best and is a definite keeper. Hands down.
By the way I prefer dualy's for pulling gooseneck trailers.
My two cents.

/ Ford Super Duty #16  
I had an F250 7.3 and drove the wheels off the thing for over 10 years before finally selling it. I've never had a better tow vehicle, period. It was also the worst vehicle for cold starting I've ever owned, and a succession of dealers in three different states couldn't fix it.

/ Ford Super Duty #17  
I loved my 7.3L. That is why I have been looking at 97-2002 trucks. My question is what kind of problems am I looking at? Engine, tranny, chassis? I would love to have a 5 or 6 speed manual tranny by the way... My 96 was a manual and could pull more than I needed it to.

My SIL's has blown a couple of transmissions within about 80K miles and he barely tows anything with it.
He does do some light side street snow plowing for the town - which is generally easier on trucks than driveway plowing.

My guesses would be 1) trans and 2) body rot, but I think the engine itself could take a LOT of work and even abuse before giving you trouble.
One of the things I have done with the older vehicles that my 6 off-spring got as their "Starter" was to change all fluids; engine oil, coolant, trans oil, rear axle, transfer case and front axle if 4wd.
Just getting under there, doing that and forming opinions of what drains out (sometimes not much, sometimes goop) and of course pulling the wheels to check brakes and wheel bearings has led to pre-emptive repairs and shown just WHY the previous owner decided to sell, but I have had very few calls to come and get them with my dual purpose tractor's trailer/car hauler.

/ Ford Super Duty #18  
I have an 04 super duty with 50k on it. I tow a 10,000 lb boat to San Diego and my Mini excavator in the Moutains over 11,000 ft elevation. I have yet( knock on wood) to have a single problem with it. I have heard all sorts of bad things about the 6.0 but mine has been great. Love the Ford trucks. I have friends with over 350K on theirs.

/ Ford Super Duty #19  
The 6.0 got such a bad rap and blown way out of proportion on the net. It turned into a good engine but the damage was done by the time Ford and International got done fighting. I know about a dozen guys who one them very well and only 1 has had a major problem. It was the guy who babies his so go figure.

Another issue for Ford on the 6.0 is the 7.3 was such a winner. Kind of like hitting a home run your first time at bat. Now how you going to top that???

Chris

/ Ford Super Duty #20  
The 6.0 got such a bad rap and blown way out of proportion on the net. It turned into a good engine but the damage was done by the time Ford and International got done fighting. I know about a dozen guys who one them very well and only 1 has had a major problem. It was the guy who babies his so go figure.

Another issue for Ford on the 6.0 is the 7.3 was such a winner. Kind of like hitting a home run your first time at bat. Now how you going to top that???

Chris

Chris,
Have you read thru the truck and trailer forums on The Hull Truth? Up until last year I defended the 6.0 engines and never had a problem. Now with two 6.0's an '03 F250 6.0 and a '05 F550 6.0 I can say I have experienced some of the grief I have read about. Meanwhile the three 7.3 trucks I have have never had problems. The '05 had to have a shortblock at 24,000 miles.