Ford Truck & Trailer Wiring

/ Ford Truck & Trailer Wiring #11  
How did you make out with the trailer wiring Llyod?:D

I got mine rewired yesterday.:D

Grease in the plug does not help. Thats not where the corrosion takes place.

/ Ford Truck & Trailer Wiring #12  
How did you make out with the trailer wiring Llyod?:D

I got mine rewired yesterday.:D

Grease in the plug does not help. Thats not where the corrosion takes place.

Maybee not in the moose dwelling frozen wastes where you live.. but in the humid sub tropical area where i live.. grease makes a huge difference in socket corrosion resistance and life.

I guess since lloyd also lives in frozen moose country, that grease may not make as much difference.

soundguy

/ Ford Truck & Trailer Wiring #13  
Maybe you could try dielectric grease when you wire your new ends on?
I use it on all automtive type wiring I do with great success. I wired new
7 pin (RV type) ends on all four of my trailers years ago and used dielectric
grease on each terminal wired and have not had any problems with wiring.
Sometimes my trailers sit for months (winter included) without use and I
can hook up, plug in, do a quick light check and go do whatever chore with-
out wiring problems.
Also; I'm sure you're aware of this, but try to use quality terminals/connectors
whenever possible. I practice the same ritual everytime I wire something,
first: slide the shrink tube on, strip the wire, (dry fit the terminal), apply dielectric grease to bear wire, slide terminal on, crimp the terminal to the bear wire, then crimp the terminal to the wire insulation, slide shrink wrap over
and heat to shrink! Quality wire stripper and crimper are also a good thing to have. I am by no means telling anyone how to do it just some suggestions to
help elimanate wiring problems.
Best of luck to you with resolving your wiring issues.

/ Ford Truck & Trailer Wiring #14  
Maybe not in the moose dwelling frozen wastes where you live..

Here you were presented with the opportunity to learn something new Soundguy and you come back with this type of statement. It is confusing! I can recall reading a book by J.D. MacDonald and can recall some of his comments on some of the folks dwelling in the central backwoods of Florida. Will your fellow countrymen living in North Dakota, Maine, Vermont and similar areas of the US come under the same insulting comments! :D

Just to broaden your perspective slightly there are no Moose in the area in which I live, the South Shore of Nova Scotia. One must travel much farther North to encounter them.

In these frozen waste lands winter temperatures have a tendency to hover around the zero mark and we do get regular falls of 20 or more Cm's of snow that may be combined with freezing rain. As a result the Highways Departments use a lot of calcium chloride on the roads. The ensuing slush has a tendency to get into any and every crevice and start corroding. The trailer wires where they hook up above the back bumper are particularly vulnerable. Also the trailer plug is vulnerable from the back side as the cover on the front seals that fairly well. We are also subjected to moist salt laden sea air. Heck, I live 15 Kil. from the Atlantic Ocean!

The best is a soldered connection with shrink wrap and then the whole piece protected by another piece of tubing that is sealed at both ends. It takes time and care to do it properly and in many cases this is not done. The wiring on my trailer is all sealed as well as the lines going to the brakes. The only problem on it has been rust cause loss of ground on several fender lights.:D

/ Ford Truck & Trailer Wiring #15  
That was my attempt at humor. And if you'll notice, I did aquiesce and go along with your statement of what works in the environment where you live.

I also don't disagree about soldere dand heat-shrunk connections.. they are IMHO.. the best you can do outside of commercially manufactured and sealed units..

as for where I live.. yeah.. you can see some scarry stuff walking out o fthe woods now and then.. but then.. I think that's everwhere.

you have frozen moose.. we have skeeters the size of owls... ;)

soundguy

Here you were presented with the opportunity to learn something new Soundguy and you come back with this type of statement. It is confusing! I can recall reading a book by J.D. MacDonald and can recall some of his comments on some of the folks dwelling in the central backwoods of Florida. Will your fellow countrymen living in North Dakota, Maine, Vermont and similar areas of the US come under the same insulting comments! :D

Just to broaden your perspective slightly there are no Moose in the area in which I live, the South Shore of Nova Scotia. One must travel much farther North to encounter them.

In these frozen waste lands winter temperatures have a tendency to hover around the zero mark and we do get regular falls of 20 or more Cm's of snow that may be combined with freezing rain. As a result the Highways Departments use a lot of calcium chloride on the roads. The ensuing slush has a tendency to get into any and every crevice and start corroding. The trailer wires where they hook up above the back bumper are particularly vulnerable. Also the trailer plug is vulnerable from the back side as the cover on the front seals that fairly well. We are also subjected to moist salt laden sea air. Heck, I live 15 Kil. from the Atlantic Ocean!

The best is a soldered connection with shrink wrap and then the whole piece protected by another piece of tubing that is sealed at both ends. It takes time and care to do it properly and in many cases this is not done. The wiring on my trailer is all sealed as well as the lines going to the brakes. The only problem on it has been rust cause loss of ground on several fender lights.:D