Forklift Train the Trainer certification?

/ Forklift Train the Trainer certification? #1  

Maintenance Mech

Tractor
Kubota L48
I am currently employed by a small agricultural business, and have been asked to be an in house forklift trainer. I have plenty of operating experience with all the types of equipment we have here, and have been certified elsewhere, but have never done training. After doing some research, I found several local dealerships that do a "train the trainer" class for $1400. The owner feels this cost is excessive, and is looking for other options (yes, I know this is cheap compared to an osha fine, but still asked to find other options). I came across some online "train the trainer" classes, but was wondering if anyone else has ever used something like that, and has any opinions based on your experience.

Btw, osha has this to say about trainers:
All operator training and evaluation shall be conducted by
persons who have the knowledge, training, and experience
to train powered industrial truck operators and evaluate
their competence.

Here are a couple examples of what I am talking about.

Cost for trainer is $149

Cost is $149

Cost is $299

So, in your experience, are there any online train the trainer courses that are worth while, or are they a waste of money?

/ Forklift Train the Trainer certification? #2  
Hitachi sent me to a class given by the forklift dealership.
Dont know the cost or if they had people in house or they farmed it out to do the training.
I wrote our training programs for our forklifts and other equipment.
Lots of help and materials online.
I would go with whatever online course would meet the qualifications to certify you.

/ Forklift Train the Trainer certification?
Thanks for the reply Alan. That might be what it comes down to. Has anyone used one of the online trainings?

/ Forklift Train the Trainer certification? #4  
I hope your class is more informative than the one I went to.

I had been operating all sizes of forklifts, 40+ hours a week for 7 years, when I went to my first forklift safety class. The teacher had never operated one and she did a poor job of research for the class.

/ Forklift Train the Trainer certification? #5  
Two parts to being a forklift trainer the most important part is an understanding of how to train ie how to get any message across and assess wether it has been understood. Second part is knowledge of the subject. I have trained a lot of liftdrivers in a timber yard for me it was important to base the training on an approved booklet that covered all of the OHSA elements and keeping a copy of the test the student had passed after the class to show he was knowledgeable of the code when he finished my coarse

/ Forklift Train the Trainer certification? #6  
The trainer course gives you certification to train other people so the owner could recover that cost by hosting courses to get people from other farm or companies to train... just I idea...

/ Forklift Train the Trainer certification? #7  
As an instructor make sure you have vicarious liability insurance. Remember the many and deep pockets tactics that personal injury attorneys use in seeking damages. As an instructor for both paramedics and nursing my malpractice insurance had a vicarious liability rider for $25/year. In a malpractice case, the plaintiffs would ask for training records in discovery and then include the instructors in the lawsuit, to prove you trained the defendant properly. Unless the employer covers your attorney fees and damages if awarded, it is all on you. And it is nice to have your own attorney looking out for you.

/ Forklift Train the Trainer certification? #8  
Or get Klaus to train you! He's the best!
(Well that's lame - it won't show the preview, but it's worth it!)

/ Forklift Train the Trainer certification? #9  
How long has certification been required?

Years ago I worked at a Union Tool and Machine Company and one day the Forklift Operator called in sick and the boss had a load of steel delivered.

He said I was up since I had some farm TLB experience.

He evaluated me unloading the steel, made a note in the Safety Binder and that was that.

Enjoyed it a lot and from that day on I was the operator as the regular operator went out on medical…

Each morning I would do my visual including fluids and every night secure the Forklift by turning off the propane and putting a trickle charger on the battery and put the key in the office.

Last edited:
   / Forklift Train the Trainer certification?
I hope your class is more informative than the one I went to.

I had been operating all sizes of forklifts, 40+ hours a week for 7 years, when I went to my first forklift safety class. The teacher had never operated one and she did a poor job of research for the class.

As an instructor make sure you have vicarious liability insurance. Remember the many and deep pockets tactics that personal injury attorneys use in seeking damages. As an instructor for both paramedics and nursing my malpractice insurance had a vicarious liability rider for $25/year. In a malpractice case, the plaintiffs would ask for training records in discovery and then include the instructors in the lawsuit, to prove you trained the defendant properly. Unless the employer covers your attorney fees and damages if awarded, it is all on you. And it is nice to have your own attorney looking out for you.
Some good points made here. I am concerned about liability. I certainly do not want to half ass this in any way.