Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #181  
On the ag tractors, we've seen them starve for fuel when the tank vent is sealed. Is that possible here?

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #182  
I topped off the fuel tank and oil. I check the oil screen again and it was clear...I think my issue is around the start stop switch for some reason. If I adjust the governor I can get it running for a few minutes but it eventually stalls out. I can watch the external linkage pulsate back and forth. I am not sure if the switch and external linkage is even related or the movement I see is being caused by something else. I am struggling to figure this out.

As far as the tank vent I see no external vent. My unit is in an enclosed case and getting to things is impossible. I am trying to avoid removing the case and its many bolts. I have always kept it fueled and see no signs of fuel leakage..it also starts fine repeatedly. I had it running for 5 mins and then the stalling out started again.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #183  
As it stalls out, is the smoke clear or heavy black? If clear, it's starving for fuel which would be more likely. Could be the switch shutting of the solenoid like you siad. Could be a fuel filter issue. In the rare event it's black you have an intake restriction. Other things could cause this but these are the most likely scenarios.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #184  
Exhaust is clear. I am up to half the case off now so I can see things. If the fuel pump was bad or solenoid on it, I would imagine it wouldn't start in the first place. So I think I am down to the linkage, for some odd reason. I agree it is something to do with the fuel delivery. It runs for literally 30secs to a minute then starts bogging down. I do have a brand new fuel pump with solenoid on hand but I am not sure i am to that point yet.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #185  
Here's what I found..was about to pull fuel pump. I had to take the filter off first. I had it in my hand and it looked nice and clean. As I looked real close I saw what appeared to be solidified fuel in it. I cut the filter in half and notice a place where the fuel gelled and was restricting the fuel flow. I looked at it a few times and even bled it. I guess the restriction came into play when it runs for a few secs. Not enough fuel comes out to keep up with demand. I ran for a few minutes and all seems well. I will run it tomm for a while and report back. I should have just replaced it to begin with but it looked so clean and bled ok. Go figure. Thanks guys for the help and insight. All very valuable.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #186  
Just one final point. I had bought a bunch of extra filters for this generator. As I was looking them over last nite they appear to come from the factory with blockages already in them (thank you china). I noticed melted plastic and debris pre clogging the filters right out of the box. I have a ton of spare tractor filters for the Deere so I used one of those. I guess Israel makes far superior filters compared to china. Aside from little issues the engine itself is ok thus far. I had a wire fall off and a gelled up fuel filter so far. I was able to get this thing to idle around 1000 rpms last nite when I was playing with the linkage which was cool....granted it was putting out around 60volts at that point.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #187  
Has anyone ever found what the head bolt torque should be?
I'd like to retorque them on my 2 which are 6kW TotalPower brand, came from Pep Boys closeout.
I see in the poor service manual I found they should be retorqued after a few hours but they don't give the spec:(
I would like to look through one of these service manuals if someone has one in pdf version. Thanks

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #188  
Yanmar manuals

I would like to look through one of these service manuals if someone has one in pdf version. Thanks

Popeye1, you can download the Yanmar manuals in pdf format here: DAW Manual Downloads
There you can find all the data you need such as torque. :thumbsup:

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #189  
Diesel EXHAUST NOISE!!!!

I guess I outsmarted myself.....I had complained about how LOUD my diesel Aurora Gen was. Several folks suggested ways to add a auto muffler or other ideas to disperse the noise. I CLAMPED A 90 degree ELL on the factory muffler short pipe, THEN I added a flexible exhaust pipe that got the exhause about 30" away (not shown)....and that helped. BUT, this addition weighed about a pound and caused a crack around the muffler's exhaust tube. I had it welded and added a support bar across the frame to hold this weight. It worked for about 2 hours and the muffler's tube broke off completely this time. Anyone have a better idea? Don't think that it was added weight this time.....maybe too rigid for the motors vibration....... sure is loud!!!! Still looking for ideas.....aye, what was that....couldn't HEAR you...:laughing:

Attachments

• Aurora Gen running.jpg
    Aurora Gen running.jpg
    963.9 KB · Views: 166
  • Aurora Muffler.jpg
    Aurora Muffler.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
   / Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #190  
It's good to see people using these clones. I think for what they are it's an inexpensive way to get a diesel generator. The more you know about them and the more you can do to service them, the better off you will be. Mine is still running strong. She starts first turn every couple of weeks. Runs for about an hour each time with approx a 4k load. It has the original battery still to boot.