Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones

After relapping the valves and double check them with break cleaner, the engine still does not start. Next step is to check the pistonrings. I didnt wanted to tear the engine apart but i have no other joice i guess
Was there any leakage by valves after lapping them??
There are two things I would do before tearing it down.
With injector removed connect it to fuel pipe and crank it over to check injection pattern.
Then remove the oil strainer and see if it is clean or have metal contamination on it.
90cummins

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #622  
There was no leakage after relapping.
The spraypattern looks like it should, compared to YouTube Videos.
Nice straight 4 sprays.
I changed the oil when the generator came to my shop. No shiny metal or something unnormal. Used but ok.
Even with diesel direct to the inletport it wont fire up.

Thank you for the welcome. The valves work correct, also the timings at tdc are ok.
I will record a video

Did you pull the oil filter screen out??
Squirting diesel into intake will not start it.
Starting fluid is NOT recommended I’ve seen it break the piston ring land.
Is your compression tester accurate up to 400+ psi?
Another compression test would be informative.
Could you elaborate on its previous history & use. Are you 1st owner, how many hours are on it, how was it running when you got it, how much load was on it and how long did run at load??
Was it running fine when shut off or did it stop on its own?
I’m thinking the compression is low because of extended operation with very light load and/or cold temperatures.
If you squirt some oil into cylinder if rings are the problem it may allow you to get the engine started. If you have 2 preferably 3 or more 1500 watt heaters to load the generator if it starts you may be able to avoid a teardown by running it close to full load for a couple hours.
Cylinder bore glazing is a real problem for diesels large & small if run lightly loaded or cold.
Good luck looking forward to more details👍
90cummins

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #624  
+1 on some oil in the piston to see if it starts/runs.

I am still a bit curious on how you tested the compression, as it isn't something some (many? most?) mechanics have an easy time with on these engines. Just a point of uncertainty.

If the oil doesn't fix it, and it was running when it suddenly stopped, I would suspect something that requires disassembly.

All the best,

Peter

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #625  

I will answer the other questions later

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #626  

I will answer the other questions later
The videos are very clear. Thank you!

My opinion after seeing the first video is that it pretty clearly demonstrates no compression. I'm sorry but I think that you will need to take the engine apart. Hopefully, it is something simple such as a blown ring.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
If it comes to a teardown theses are very simple.
It’s important to remove pushrods & injection pump prior to removing side cover. The cam is supported by a very small needle bearing and can be damaged.
Good luck

90cummins

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #628  
Did you pull the oil filter screen out??
Squirting diesel into intake will not start it.
Starting fluid is NOT recommended I’ve seen it break the piston ring land.
Is your compression tester accurate up to 400+ psi?
Another compression test would be informative.
Could you elaborate on its previous history & use. Are you 1st owner, how many hours are on it, how was it running when you got it, how much load was on it and how long did run at load??
Was it running fine when shut off or did it stop on its own?
I’m thinking the compression is low because of extended operation with very light load and/or cold temperatures.
If you squirt some oil into cylinder if rings are the problem it may allow you to get the engine started. If you have 2 preferably 3 or more 1500 watt heaters to load the generator if it starts you may be able to avoid a teardown by running it close to full load for a couple hours.
Cylinder bore glazing is a real problem for diesels large & small if run lightly loaded or cold.
Good luck looking forward to more details👍
90cummins
The filterscreen was clear with no metal parts or other particles.
iam the first owner with round about 9h. It was used when it was frosty outside and was loaded with a 1500W heater. It stopped working suddenly. Before it was runner for two hours.
i think i cant get along a teardown

I found an article about diesel cylinder glazing years ago it is not my article unknown source. IMG_8423.jpegIMG_8424.jpegIMG_8425.jpegIMG_8426.jpeg
90cummins

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #630