Found a coyote, I think

/ Found a coyote, I think
Dave,

Nice article. Thanks.

It may explain why Sandy is so friendly and unafraid of people. She had constant interaction with us and others from about three days old. Plus with our other dogs and our cat. She loves riding in the truck and we started that at a few days old too.

Like the wolves mentioned, she was walking in a few days and developed much faster than I've seen with domestic dogs.

She never seemed especially interested in pleasing us, but always interested in interacting with us as a family or as playmates, pack mates. Because of this she knows many words and would do what we said a lot of the time. She also taught us her ways through her actions and mannerisms. So we knew how to respond to her and what she wanted. Living together under these circumstances meant we could work, hunt and play together. Respond to each other. Face new situations together. Trust. Predict. Anticipate. Develop habits.

We put a collar on her at four weeks and a few days later started with a leash. This may have been near the end of her window of socialization. At first she balked, but soon got used to it and then the leash. In a few days she was dragging the leash all around and for the rest of her time with us she had no problem with either. Not that she always walked well while being led on a leash, but she was comfortable wearing it and the collar.

Mace,

Those pictures look like Sandy, but it's actually one of the Mexican Grey Wolves at Southwest. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.

Look at the picture Randy posted, back a few posts. Look at her eyes and ears.

/ Found a coyote, I think #425  
Dave,

Nice article. Thanks.

It may explain why Sandy is so friendly and unafraid of people. She had constant interaction with us and others from about three days old. Plus with our other dogs and our cat. She loves riding in the truck and we started that at a few days old too.

Like the wolves mentioned, she was walking in a few days and developed much faster than I've seen with domestic dogs.

She never seemed especially interested in pleasing us, but always interested in interacting with us as a family or as playmates, pack mates. Because of this she knows many words and would do what we said a lot of the time. She also taught us her ways through her actions and mannerisms. So we knew how to respond to her and what she wanted. Living together under these circumstances meant we could work, hunt and play together. Respond to each other. Face new situations together. Trust. Predict. Anticipate. Develop habits.

We put a collar on her at four weeks and a few days later started with a leash. This may have been near the end of her window of socialization. At first she balked, but soon got used to it and then the leash. In a few days she was dragging the leash all around and for the rest of her time with us she had no problem with either. Not that she always walked well while being led on a leash, but she was comfortable wearing it and the collar.

Glad you enjoyed it. When I ran across it, I thought of Sandy and you.

Dog trainers believe there are succeeding age periods, beyond the initial 1-2 months of puppyhood, when dogs are susceptible to developing fear and avoidance responses. This may explain why some dogs are afraid of thunder, or gun shy, and others are not. If exposed to a loud crack of lightning or gun fire during one of those susceptible periods, they become imprinted with that stimulus and the fear may last forever.

/ Found a coyote, I think #426  
Mace,

Those pictures look like Sandy, but it's actually one of the Mexican Grey Wolves at Southwest. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.

Look at the picture Randy posted, back a few posts. Look at her eyes and ears.

Oh gosh! Now that you mention it, it's so obvious! :eek:

Sorry Sandy!

/ Found a coyote, I think #427  

Sorry Sandy!
That's kind of funny, i just thought you were posting a random picture of animals.

Interesting article about the wolves. Kind of reminds me of a dog i had some years ago. The mother of my pup was from Japan living in a snowbank, the father was an elk hound, i think. It was the smartest dog i'd ever seen, about 70lb buff colored looked something like a small Akita. It didn't fawn over people but did pay a lot of attention to what was going on. An example, one day while visiting my in laws, they became concerned that he might bother the neighbors dog. So i went outside and said, "stay up on the deck" and he just ran over and jumped up to the deck and wandered around but didn't get off the deck. He would only listen to me and completely ignored other peoples commands, until i met my Wife. One day when we had just started dating, she had to go into work on a saturday at a place in south seattle, kind of isolated area so i told her to take my dog with her. I said to my dog, do what she says, she called him to the car and away they went to work. She said he did exactly what she said and was a real happy to have him there. Especially when her boss came into the office and met my dog face to face. She said my dog just stared at him and he asked if he bites and she said, only when i tell him to. :)

/ Found a coyote, I think #428  

Sorry Sandy!
That's kind of funny, i just thought you were posting a random picture of animals.

Interesting article about the wolves. Kind of reminds me of a dog i had some years ago. The mother of my pup was from Japan living in a snowbank, the father was an elk hound, i think. It was the smartest dog i'd ever seen, about 70lb buff colored looked something like a small Akita. It didn't fawn over people but did pay a lot of attention to what was going on. An example, one day while visiting my in laws, they became concerned that he might bother the neighbors dog. So i went outside and said, "stay up on the deck" and he just ran over and jumped up to the deck and wandered around but didn't get off the deck. He would only listen to me and completely ignored other peoples commands, until i met my Wife. One day when we had just started dating, she had to go into work on a saturday at a place in south seattle, kind of isolated area so i told her to take my dog with her. I said to my dog, do what she says, she called him to the car and away they went to work. She said he did exactly what she said and was a real happy to have him there. Especially when her boss came into the office and met my dog face to face. She said my dog just stared at him and he asked if he bites and she said, only when i tell him to. :)

/ Found a coyote, I think #429  
Dave The post was interesting I learned a few things I didn't know about my wolves, I would have never dreamed that they start their socializing before their eyes are open, it does make sense though.
John I think I have to agree the probably made a big difference in Sandy. And possibly had a hand in why mine are the way they are, we didn't have ours from birth but the people we got them from took real good care of them and had alot of little kids running around. I don't worry about Shadow being alone with the Grandkids, even the newest at about 2 months old, she has been the typical motherhen with the kidseven being 9 yrs old she still will laydown with the baby and protect her. Weasel is weasel he is good with them for awhile, then when it starts of overwhem him and he goes to his cage to escape. He preferrs to watch them, but just out of reach.

Randy

Great story. Sometimes they prove to be much smarter than I think they are. And very aware of who's the Alpha. Wanting to please, fit into a society and work as a team, seems to be what makes them so successful in their world and in ours. It's so easy to take them for granted, but they don't do that with us.

The sense that they are just living a normal life, like us, and alongside us, is really touching. Suddenly I realize how much respect they deserve. They are thriving in the human world and keeping their own identity. Making the most of every moment. Making adjustments to fit in. Imagine how difficult it would be if the tables were turned and we were living in the dog world. They're so easy to please and ask for so little, and yet give so much just because that's who they are.