Tiller Found a Tiller!!!!

/ Found a Tiller!!!!
Differences noted between King Kutter II 60" tiller and Befco T30-150 tiller (50"):

KK is gear driven in oil bath, Befco is chain driven in oil bath
KK weighs 690 pounds, Befco 370
KK has 6 tines per flange, Befco has 4
KK max depth 8", Befco 7.2"
KK has slip clutch, Befco has shear pin
Befco has kick stand, KK does not
Befco rated 15-30 HP, KK 25-40
Befco has neat telescoping offset, KK doesn't need it

I got the KK specs from the brochure they sent me. It shows a yellow tiller, but one at TSC is RED. I wonder if this is the same one for $999? The cheapest price I have seen for the Befco is $1,600 or so, but spec-wise it looks like the KK beats it.

Alan L., TX

/ Found a Tiller!!!! #32  
Regarding TSC implements, I believe that some of their stuff (blades, buckets,etc - all red) are made by a company out of Cincinnati (American 'something'). Maybe that is who makes these red tillers???
Is gear drive better than chain?
If you have any of the Quality Farm&Fleet/Farm&Country/CT Farm&Country/County Post/Country General stores, they do carry a wide line of all KingKutter stuff at good prices.
Allen, which direction from Canton do you live? I'm not to far from there...

/ Found a Tiller!!!! #33  
John, you're a lot farther from Canton than you think, since First Monday trade days is in Canton, TX./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif And I haven't gone down there myself since 1967 when they couldn't sell anything before noon on Sunday - it really started as the first Monday of each month. Now it's the biggest flea market I know of and goes all weekend as well as Monday.

Bird

/ Found a Tiller!!!! #34  
Got the Rotavator at Industrial Equipment of Northern Ohio. They are located in Williston, OH. (Phone:419-836-5611) Also saw the same tiller at Streackers in Fremont and Findlay for about the same price, or maybe even cheaper. I really like the service at IE though and willing to pay a bit more for it.

/ Found a Tiller!!!!
As Bird said, the Canton I'm referring to is in Texas. The red tiller at TSC is labeled "King Kutter II", but I forgot to note the model number.

Alan L., TX

/ Found a Tiller!!!!
The \"Auction\"

Well my friend showed up at the auction at the JD dealer on Saturday. He put in the highest bid on my Befco tiller ($700) and a 770 tractor and riding mower. Even even had the highest bid on another Befco tiller with a busted gearbox ($100). However the dealer pulled them all back and wouldn't sell a single item to him. The strangest thing is he bid $2100 for a mower that sells for $2800 brand new, won the bid and the dealer wouldn't sell it to him. And my friend just spent $81,000 last week on a new 7710, you'd think he would get a break.

Anyway, he said they wouldn't turn loose of but maybe a third of what was put up for "auction". That don't sound like an auction to me. Sounds like a ripoff.

Alan L., TX

/ Found a Tiller!!!! #37  
Hey Charliebrn - that's the wrong phone number - it's a private residence.

/ Found a Tiller!!!! #38  
Re: The \"Auction\"

I agree, sounds like the seller had a high reserve. Don't seem fair. Either you want to auction it off for the highest bidder - and you take what your offered, or you just don't have an auction at all!

/ Found a Tiller!!!! #39  
The Deere tillers painted green are made by Howard Rotavator and the yellow tillers are made by Deere (for lawn/Garden tractors). We sell 100's of tillers a year from 48 inch to 120 inches.We sell King Kutter and First Choice. First Choice is a tiller we private label it is made in Italy. Same units as Rhino. The same Italian manufacturer builds selected implements for LandPride and others. Our 60 inch unit starts at $950. Slip clutch, 6 blades per flange, quality finish and components.

/ Found a Tiller!!!! #40  
Just a quick note for folks looking at tillers. I called the local dealer that carries the Howard line for a price quote. He informed me that he was not too keen on selling me a Howard at this time as they have been bought out by Kongskilde and they want to wait and see what is going to happen as far as parts availability and price. Perhaps something to keep in mind when making the purchase decision.

Is it just me or is this tractor/implement industry just one buy-out after another?! I can't keep track of who's who anymore.

Take care,
Kevin