four wheel drive

/ four wheel drive #11  
I haven't even put my 573 in 4wd yet to see if it actually engages. I have put about 1 hr on since I got it.

My two other tractors I don't think I have ever taken them out of 4wd. No issues. I don't run on pavement, but hard dry stone that is like concrete when it hasn't rained for a week or two.

/ four wheel drive #12  
I engage 4wd when I think I am going to need it, and only on loose surfaces (gravel driveway, dirt trails, field, yard). Otherwise, my R4047H stays in 2wd. Same principle applies to my UTV and my truck.

/ four wheel drive #13  
Just curious if all you guys would run your FWD trucks engaged all the time? Based on what I'm reading sounds like you would. I don't care what any owners manual says, no FWD tractor is designed to run engaged all the time. If you do, you are just a ticking time bomb. AWD is a different stiory. That is designed to run all the time. It's engineered to do so.

/ four wheel drive #14  
I used to drive my old Kubota B7000 in 4x4 all the time, even on hard surfaces. I was 7 years old, could barely reach the pedals and didn't knew any better. A couple years go by and it completely stripped the splines on the U joint. It also popped the roll pin out and pierce a couple funny holes on the shield.

/ four wheel drive #15  
Just curious if all you guys would run your FWD trucks engaged all the time? Based on what I'm reading sounds like you would. I don't care what any owners manual says, no FWD tractor is designed to run engaged all the time. If you do, you are just a ticking time bomb. AWD is a different stiory. That is designed to run all the time. It's engineered to do so.
Exactly. My truck as that capability and sure it's nice when the road conditions are sketchy. Simply engage it on the go and it's all it takes. It can do AWD, 4x4 center diff locked and 4x4 Low.

/ four wheel drive #16  
Those who run 4WD all the time are pushing their luck. Reread you owners manual on the use of 4WD.
it's not 4wd anyway, it's front wheel assist or FWA and if there is no mechanical locker on the front axle, it's really 2wd, one front and one rear. Hard surface can and do include hard packed dirt. Continual operation with the front axle engaged also accelerates tire wear.

/ four wheel drive #17  
With an AWD vehicle there is a differential coupling in the driveline. Not on a tractor and no' I never run my pickup truck in 4 high unless I need to and 99% of the time my front hubs are in freewheel

/ four wheel drive #18  
That was my point. AWD is meant to be engaged all the time but in the case of our 2 vehicles that have it, it can be disengaged as well.