Framing a house: 2X4 vs 2X6

/ Framing a house: 2X4 vs 2X6 #81  
I also had my home built with 2"x6" outer walls. The insulation and cost advantages for this (in florida) is great. BUT, the heating and cooling is affected more IMO by the way air moves within the walls (put a hand by an electrical outlet when someone opens a door to the outside, and notice the air movement). After wiring 1000's of homes for many builders, sealing the penetrations from the walls into the attic area or the upper and lower floors makes a huge difference. Seal holes around the wiring and the plumbing. On of the builders had thermal imaging of a area of home and found the difference to be major. Just something to concider.

Be careful with this. Check with the building code in Vancouver, British Columbia to see what else needs to be done when sealing a house this well. When the national buiding code in Canada made these changes, the coastal area of British Columbia produced "leaky condos". A catastrophy resulted that ruined many people's lives. As usual, government denied responsibility. It has to do with when moisture gets inside the walls, it has no way out. Seattle, for example would be similar due to the rainfall.

/ Framing a house: 2X4 vs 2X6 #82  
We built our house in TN and moved into it in Jan 2011. We used 2x6 framing for the exterior walls in order to have thicker insulation. Our heating and cooling costs are extremely low. Except during the hottest time of year, we can open our windows in the morning until about 10 or 11 AM then close them to keep the cool air inside the house. For days with outside temps up to 85 F, we stay quite comfortable.

I would highly recommend 2x6 framing if you can do it.

Obed

most new homes should be efficinet like that. I have about 2500ish sqft first floor. One AC is kept at 79F and the other is 80F in day and 74ish at eve. and i only have about 150$ cooling cost. (not total power bill, just what it cost to run the AC) This was for the month when we had the 100F+ days. And our power costs around $0.13/KwHr. My brother inlaws 4000sqft house costs less to cool and they keep it at 72 or lower i think all day, most of the house and the upstairs is at 74-76.

My point is i think any new home with GOOD windows and doors and vapor barrier etc i think no matter what you will have low bills.

/ Framing a house: 2X4 vs 2X6 #83  
I would echo the thoughts of others, go with commercial 2x6 that fully meet fla code.

/ Framing a house: 2X4 vs 2X6 #84  
2X6 for sure. Heck, i build my garage and my shed with 2X6's. If i was to build my own house, it be 2X6 all the way through it, not just the outside walls. And I'd insulate the interior walls too, to make it a bit sound proof.