Free Spyware Software? Windows Vista

/ Free Spyware Software? Windows Vista #1  

OKnewguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Jinma 224
Hey gang, I have some Christmas time off and decided to do some computer maintenance. I have had great success with avg in the past, I am currently using avast (I love it too) and run firefox. These are such great free antivirus programs that I thought there might be some good free anti-spyware programs. I do use spybot, but are there anyothers?
Thanks for the help.
Dave

/ Free Spyware Software? Windows Vista #2  
In addition to anti-virus apps, IMO one needs a decent software firewall to help monitor data flow both in and out of the computer and even changes to files presently on the computer. I use COMODO as my firewall. Does a real decent job and borders on being paranoid about any changes trying to take place on your machine.

Another must have app is Malwarebyte's anti-malware app. It is top notch in finding and ridding one's computer of malware. Malwarebytes.org

Recently when the wife was surfing some crap got on the machine. One of those apps that tells you your computer is full of spyware, and malware of all kinds. Just need to click on the link to get ride of the junk. The app has placed the junk on the computer and for a fee, it will rid your machine of this stuff.

Anyway, ran a full scan of the HD and deep down in the file structure it ran across the offending app and gave notice. Almost the same instance AVG popped up reporting the same file (it had just been accessed, by malwarebyes app sniffing out the bad stuff). Let Malwarebytes complete and then gave the OK to remove the offending app. As Malwarebytes removed the file, Up pops AVG again. Where is AVG before I ran malwarebytes.

/ Free Spyware Software? Windows Vista
It is funny you mention Malwarebytes. I do have it, but when I go to update it, it wants me to purchase it. I guess it was a trial period that has since run out. I use the windows firewall, I used to use zonealarm, but have not used it in a few years. In general the computer has been great, I am going on 2.5 years now since I bought it. I used to have to reformat almost every year or two max. But they seem to be much more reliable then the older 98 and 2000 machines. Maybe part of the reliability is running firefox? Maybe part of the reliabilty is only going to about 8 to 10 websites now days. When I first got high speed internet around 98-99 I was an absolute internet junky, but now I am more of a tbn and iboats forum junky.

Anyway, I will try and reload malwarebytes.
Thanks, Dave

/ Free Spyware Software? Windows Vista #5  
Superantispyware is pretty good. We use it at work to clean junk off peoples systems. Another good one is HijackThis It will clean out stuff that redirects your pages to another site.

Aaron Z

Thanks for the help guys, so far I have run spybot and malwarebytes, and this evening I will run superantivirus. I feel pretty good, very little has come up, just tracking cookies.
Thanks for the info.
Dave

/ Free Spyware Software? Windows Vista #8  
I use Spybot search and destroy, works well, updates are released regularly.

/ Free Spyware Software? Windows Vista #9  
I'd second the Microsoft Security Essentials (you'll have to get rid of Avast first). It's the new Microsoft "Malware" package- does spyware and virus detection, it's free, and seems to have a low overhead. It's a bad idea to have two anti-virus programs, but a good idea to have two anti-spyware programs so adding one of the above suggestions to the MSE would not be a bad idea.

The funny thing about the Microsoft Essentials Package, it says:
(You appear to be in a country or region where Microsoft Security Essentials is not available. Thank you for your interest in Microsoft Security Essentials.)
Go figure? I seem to be rockin. I got the desk top all cleaned up and then took care of both laptops.
Thanks for the idea's, Dave