Free, yes FREE gas for our SUV

/ Free, yes FREE gas for our SUV #31  
They are doing the same thing here at the Kroger and the new Super Wal Mart. With Wal Mart moving in Kroger just did a big remodel and added gas pumps. They are also the best prices in town unless you like to buy bread at the day old store.

/ Free, yes FREE gas for our SUV #32  
Sigarms said:
Since I dont have a giant eagle around me, I was wondering, thats all, no more.
The 'Giant' grocery stores near us are not related to the Giant Eagle stores others are referring to. The other large local chains near us are Weis Markets and Super Fresh. Super Fresh is the most expensive and has the most surly staff. Weis Markets and Giant are about the same, based upon total grocery costs. I've never done an item by item comparison.

/ Free, yes FREE gas for our SUV #33  
Here's how I handle the Big Bird thingy.
I will purchase items there if I know they're priced less there than elsewhere and I'm going to be in their area anyway. I will also buy things there that I want/need if it isn't available elsewhere, but my goal isn't to see how fast I can spend 50 bucks just so I can save a few cents on gas.
I don't buy their diesel as I get off road diesel.

/ Free, yes FREE gas for our SUV #34  
LBrown59 said:
but my goal isn't to see how fast I can spend 50 bucks just so I can save a few cents on gas.

That's odd, because that is exactly my goal every time I shop at Giant Eagle. I find myself buying cases of canned dog food just to save pennies on gas. And I don't even have a dog! I wish they sold more expensive things at Giant Eagle, like furniture or jewelry, so that I could save even more pennies on gas!

/ Free, yes FREE gas for our SUV #35  
:D :D :D :D :D :D

/ Free, yes FREE gas for our SUV #36  
LBrown59 said:
AndyM said:
Those are all bargain basement "no frills" stores where you even have to pay for grocery bags.
But look how many bags you can buy with a 5 dollar savings on groceries and still have money left over!

But are you going to answer the question I've asked you twice?
I'm curious how Giant Eagle prices compare to the "established mainline stores" in Marietta (Kroger and Walmart Supercenter).
Since I don't live there, I'm asking what you have seen since they entered the Marietta market last year.

Last edited:
   / Free, yes FREE gas for our SUV
MikePA said:
I know people who go grocery shopping at multiple places. One store for this, another for that and a third for something else. They think they're being wise shoppers. Of course, they ignore the cost of fuel for the multiple trips and they don't value the time they spend traveling from store to store.

Years ago my grandfather (rest his soul) would hand me a coupon to save him a nickel or a dime on some grocery item in a particular store on the other side of town, and since he didn't drive ask me to go pick it up for him. I would always do so but chuckle on the way thinking of the gas that I spent to save him a nickle or a dime. Of course I never brought that to his attention, after all he was my grandfather. :eek:

/ Free, yes FREE gas for our SUV #38  
BlueRidge said:
Loss leaders are GREAT for the smart consumer. Take the loss leader and run! But you can only do that if you do your homework. Otherwise, you will be the consumer that keeps the accountants laughing all the way to the bank.

I dont beleive that.. I took a few accounting classes in my 3rd year. I was not doing to much laughing.

/ Free, yes FREE gas for our SUV #40  
AndyM said:
LBrown59 said:
AndyM said:
But are you going to answer the question I've asked you twice?
I'm curious how Giant Eagle prices compare to the "established mainline stores" in Marietta (Kroger and Walmart Supercenter).
Since I don't live there, I'm asking what you have seen since they entered the Marietta market last year.
I thought I did in another post where I stated my brother and my wife felt the birds prices were higher. Then Too I stated my cousin works at G.E. but I haven't had a chance to talk to her aoout it.