freeze dried long term and food

/ freeze dried long term and food #1  

blackstormy1804

Tractor
models
I have NO experience with that company but maybe someone here will explain some of the things I don't understand:

Last night I watched another episode of Doomsday Preppers. I've seen 3 shows. Most people profiled seem to be "a little out there", according to DW and I don't disagree.

Last night's episode showed three rooms stockpiled with enough food to feed "10 people for 4 years". An earlier episode had a segment discussing a young lady in Houston with years worth of food stockpiled, and plans to backpack to Mexico "when the s*** hit the fan". Still another episode described a "prepper" with 3 years worth of food and supplies stockpiled, and a couple of old school busses and 2 pickups at the ready to take some of those supplies to an undisclosed location where "they would be safe".

For the decade DW and I were driving truck cross-country, we carried a large box of freeze-dried food and a small propane stove and utensils, just in case we were stuck in a blizzard for a few days somewhere. We never needed it.

We do live off-grid with our own water and power, and I also have 25lbs each of rice and beans stockpiled. With our normal stores, we could last a few months without finding groceries.

But FOUR YEARS?!?!? Am I under prepared? Or are the people in this show over prepared? If there is no food, no fuel, and no electricity ... will having that large of a supply help your family to survive or just make you a target for those that are starving?

I apologize if this post doesn't address your question but these seem to be scary times, and I keep wondering if I should be investing more in long-term/freeze dried foods? And the answers to your question will be relevent to my question.

/ freeze dried long term and food #2  
I have NO experience with that company but maybe someone here will explain

I apologize if this post doesn't address your question but these seem to be scary times, and I keep wondering if I should be investing more in long-term/freeze dried foods? And the answers to your question will be relevent to my question.

Maybe someone here will explain what 'that company' is, what 'your question' is, who posted it when, where and whether or not this thread is just Spam (which really doesn't keep all that long).

/ freeze dried long term and food #3  
My first question is that if things get that bad, do I really want to live through it? Realistically, you will spend all of your time defending your food supply, and it won't be long before you are outgunned by superior numbers. I try to be prepared for a natural disaster and go into the winter with about 2 months worth of canned goods which I could rely on once my two freezers died in the event of a major power outage; it costs a lot less money than the freeze dried and I use and replenish as needed. at the end of the winter I donate what I haven't used to the USPS food drive, and start building up the next winter's supply.
Realistically, the people that you see posting here putting their firewood up a year and a half ahead of time et.al. are the people who are best prepared in other ways; I can almost guarantee that they also have enough food and fuel for their generators to survive most disasters. The type that you see on TV are just hoping for a return to the wild west and a complete collapse of civilization, yet I doubt many of them would survive either.

They had one couple on there who "didn't believe in guns, and were just going to provide for their community if things went south."

It's events such as hurricanes and the wildfires that are in the current news which you should concern yourself with. If you are told that within 12 hours your home will be inhabitable, what are you going to take and where are you going to go? Do you have enough fuel to get out, and is your vehicle properly prepared?

Last edited:
   / freeze dried long term and food #4  
Kind of makes me giggle when people talk about X years worth of stored food. So what happens at the day after X years? Most of these people might be able to hunt half way successfully but probably can’t grow a carrot. A few days/weeks/months of stored food makes a lot of since to me for storm prep to job loss prep but beyond that it should be some sort of renewable food source you have some level of control over (not I’m going down to the hunting cabin and shoot deer).

/ freeze dried long term and food #5  
Not a prepper but if I was the one thing I would have would be plenty of non-hybrid seeds, a way to pressure can vegetables, and instruction booklets on the same. We only had a small 12' x 22' plot this year but raised enough 'purple-hull southern peas' to fill 65 quart freezer bags plus to feed our 10 person family each week plus give away many quarts. From this little plot we have enough veggies to have a serving or so a week for a couple years. So with enough seeds and a larger plot one could feed a large group if prepared to preserve the produce. PRepared to PReserve the PRoduce. Lots of PRs there. Anyway, a wide selection of vegetable seeds should be in any long term survival kit.

RTSKY

/ freeze dried long term and food #6  
I gotta laugh when some say they will travel down to mexico when S hits the F here in america. Mexico won't let us in. In fact, they'll probably make us pay to build a wall to keep us out and man it with guards and guns.

/ freeze dried long term and food #7  
I have seen those shows and they really miss the point. Firstly, nothing like having a lot of people knowing about your preparedness. And not talking about the TV show.

Then, great, so you, your wife and ten year old kid know how to handle a firearm. And that is supposed to provide 24/7 security in the face of unknown threats? I always figure, in a situation like that, I will get popped in the head from a few hundred meters while pulling a few carrots for dinner. Maybe, that would be lucky.

/ freeze dried long term and food #8  
I have seen those shows and they really miss the point. Firstly, nothing like having a lot of people knowing about your preparedness. And not talking about the TV show.

Then, great, so you, your wife and ten year old kid know how to handle a firearm. And that is supposed to provide 24/7 security in the face of unknown threats? I always figure, in a situation like that, I will get popped in the head from a few hundred meters while pulling a few carrots for dinner. Maybe, that would be lucky.

Or, they could come door to door, making you pack your suitcase and herding you into a concentration camp.

/ freeze dried long term and food #9  
The ones they "supposedly" have already set up? If they use the Walmart parking lots, I wonder if you will have access to the outlets for the pop machines? That's where my Dad plugs in his water kettle, when driving around in his Sprinter. lol

/ freeze dried long term and food #10  
When the Asteroid hits, I want it to hit MY house so I'm the first to go and don't have to mess around with the buffoons doing the whole 'Road Warrior' gig..