Freezing hydraulics

/ Freezing hydraulics #11  
Grassgod:

To save on heating costs have you considered throwing a tarp over the tractor and just running a small electric heater with fan. It may be cheaper than heating the whole garage. The heater could also be set on timmer so it doesn't have to be run continuously. Trial and error for settings.

Egon

/ Freezing hydraulics
The dealer is Wescott and Sons in Gorham. Phone # is 207.839.4500 .

I'll try to get a picture of it today, but I'm not sure how successful I'll be. It's a small hole (and kinda lousy work, to be honest) and I've only got a cheap digital camera to work with (owned by my 7-year-old son).

Might be best just to try to describe it clearly. Do you know where the "detents" are? Those two hexagonal-tubular things sticking out of the bottom of the loader-control valve? I would estimate that there about 2" long. Because the whole unit is mounted at an angle, they stick out at an angle. They have a flat bottom, a circular indentation around the outside edge, leaving a "lip". I drilled right through that lip, at the lowest point, with about a 1/16" bit, drilling up along the length of the detent but at a slight angle towards the middle (to make sure my imprecise hole went to the inside and not to the outside).

That may not be very helpful, but I'm afraid my photo might be even worse. I'll give it a try later though.

Jim

/ Freezing hydraulics #13  
I do know where the detents are. Do the detents come off? I thought I read somewhere that you can unscrew the entire detent off the valve, Put it in a vise on your bench & then drill it, Is that acurate? Did you drill your mounted on the valve? I'll still like ot see a pic if you can manage one but I dont have a good understanding now, that was a great & detailed description you posted for me , Thanks a million!

/ Freezing hydraulics
I don't know if the detents come off; probably they do, but it wasn't something I wanted to mess with. I've heard that it's a bit like repairing a watch, with things springing apart. So I did a rough job, with a hand drill and a lot of slipping/maiming (to the detent, not myself, fortunately).

Jim

/ Freezing hydraulics #15  
I was told by my dealer's ace mechanic a while back that my BX1500 detent was not susceptible to the drilling operation. Today I took him a photo (attached) of the offending detent and asked was he really sure I couldn't drill a drain hole. He said he had thought there was something behind the hole location that shouldn't be drilled into but had just discovered that was not the case. So he marked the spot to drill (see + on the picure) and said make a hole not larger than 1/16" ( to discourage crud from getting in).

I'll do that as soon as the temperature in my garage gets above +5 degrees and will report on results. I got a parts list blowup of the control valve and there sure are a whole lot of things inside. I'm inclined to take his recommendation not to unscrew the detent assembly seriously. Stay tuned.

Don

Attachments

• 573555-detents.jpg
    573555-detents.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 303
   / Freezing hydraulics #16  
Following up on yesterday's post I drilled a 1/16" hole at the indicated position on the detent housing. After carefully avoiding breaking the drill I finally got nervous after having reached a depth of about 1/8" and called the dealer's wizard. He said the thickness of the detent cap was maybe 1/4" instead of the sheet metal I was expecting and there was nothing serious to kill inside if I overshot.

Forged on and eventually broke through. Reamed out to 5/64" on wizards's advice and thawed out detent with heat gun. Got about 10 drops of water. Per wizard, tried blowing some WD40 into the hole - not easy. Will report on success/failure of this exercise.

Wiz said BX is not the only Kub with such problems, as we have been reading on these threads. It is common in many Kubota models and other tractors like New Holland which they also handle.

/ Freezing hydraulics
For what it's worth, my tractor--which had this problem--is a B7510 not a BX. So yeah, it's not just the BXs.

Hope it works for you. Keep in mind that mine stuck once more after I had drilled the hole, then stopped and hasn't done it since.

Jim

/ Freezing hydraulics #18  
I have had this problem on and off ,today I went out to fix the problem again .

Switched the quick connect lines around ,that didn't work ,wondered why it only happened some times.

Lifted or lowered the 3 point hitch and all off a sudden away it went everything worked as it should ,

I then started putting on the chains ,played around quite awhile , went to put the tractor away and again

I got the same problem , forgot Ihad moved the 3 point hitch again ,moved it back into a different

position and everything worked as it should again.

Don't know why but I guess your 3 point must be up or down or neutral forget which one but hope

this helps.

/ Freezing hydraulics #19  
Wow! You may have set a record, reviving a 13 year old thread...:eek: