freightliner diesel van

/ freightliner diesel van #21  
Thats a Fiat. No rust yet ?? Merc Sprinters (and VW Crafters) are built in Stuttgart and are very solid vehicles. the Merc Vito is built in Spain and just rots away under your *****. As a rule, anything south is rust prone. Fiat/Iveco engines are very good though...
According to our Speedy Delivery driver, the Sprinters are anything but "solid." The doors literally rust off the things! Here is just one 2006 example: 2006 Sprinter 3500

Attachments

• image-1197302005.jpg
    image-1197302005.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 162
   / freightliner diesel van #22  
According to our Speedy Delivery driver, the Sprinters are anything but "solid." The doors literally rust off the things! Here is just one 2006 example: 2006 Sprinter 3500

I have a customer who had about 15 of these for a plumbing business. As you said they literally fell apart with rust.

Is previous fleet was 2001 E 350 vans. They were good all in all but under powered with a Ditch Witch behind them with the 5.4L motor. The Sprinters got a solid 50% better millage.

He now has a fleet of the Nissan Vans. Ugly as heck but in the year and a half he has had them, about 15 of them, they are mechanically perfect. The MPG is a little better than the E 350 vans but not as good as the Sprinter. They have the power to tow and the price point is right.

Chris

/ freightliner diesel van #23  
Thats a Fiat. No rust yet ??

Merc Sprinters (and VW Crafters) are built in Stuttgart and are very solid vehicles. the Merc Vito is built in Spain and just rots away under your *****. As a rule, anything south is rust prone.
Fiat/Iveco engines are very good though...

Interesting.

I dont think there is a single Sprinter (in white) here that doesn't have rust after a couple years. Corrosion protection on the Sprinter is a joke and really disappointing for a Mercedes. And its been that way since they came. Not like Mercedes is making improvements either.

/ freightliner diesel van #24  
Thats a Fiat. No rust yet ?? Merc Sprinters (and VW Crafters) are built in Stuttgart and are very solid vehicles. the Merc Vito is built in Spain and just rots away under your *****. As a rule, anything south is rust prone. Fiat/Iveco engines are very good though...

Not a spec of rust anywhere. It's a 2013 though. They drive great but some people don't like the feel of being so far forward. The pro master is not a sprinter so you can't judge it by the old ones. It's a new vehicle and needs to be judged by how it turns out not it's predecessors. I say go drive one if you are looking at something along these lines. The e series ford vans don't even come close to comparison you can stand up fully in these they have a lot more payload much lower to the ground for loading. You can set pallets in the side door or the back doors. The back doors open 180*. We load lots of equipment and spools of cable up to size 750 mcm for installation it's nice to be able to load with a fork lift.

/ freightliner diesel van #25  
I've been looking and test drove a 2014 Itasca Navion camper that is set on the Sprinter chassis. It drove nice but being a tall 220lb. guy, I found the shifter at the right knee a little annoying. They promise about 16mpg but that's with a lot more weight.

/ freightliner diesel van #26  
Interesting.

I dont think there is a single Sprinter (in white) here that doesn't have rust after a couple years. Corrosion protection on the Sprinter is a joke and really disappointing for a Mercedes. And its been that way since they came. Not like Mercedes is making improvements either.
A couple of years back I ran into a couple who were running for Express-1. They had a 2004 Sprinter 2500 that looked showroom ... with around 400,000 miles on it.

Their secret ?

They kept it waxed (Turtle Wax ICE if I recall correctly)

I didn't keep ours waxed and have paid the price on the outer body surfaces ...

I'd agree that the Mercedes outer body paint and corrosion protection surely ain't the greatest ... but OTOH, my chassis and undercarriage is in great shape ... despite being driven in all seasons, all over the US.

Had I kept it waxed I'd bet the outer body would look a whole lot better than it does now.

/ freightliner diesel van
at least there is no salt here in florida as long as you are not beach side.

/ freightliner diesel van #28  
I have an 07 Sprinter and it's the worst vehicle I've ever owned. You may be able to pass fuel stations but you darn sure can never pass a dealership for repairs. Spend a few minutes hear and see all the people crying about repairs and poor quality.

NCV3 Talk - Sprinter-Forum
Mine had a roof leak that was repaired twice when new and still has a waterfall inside every time it rains. Lucky for me it only rains once ever two years.

/ freightliner diesel van #29  
The Promaster comes with a 3.0 L 4 Cyl diesel option as well. At least in Canada it does. We looked at them a few weeks ago. Nice low floor, big payload numbers.

/ freightliner diesel van #30  
A couple of years back I ran into a couple who were running for Express-1. They had a 2004 Sprinter 2500 that looked showroom ... with around 400,000 miles on it.

Their secret ?

They kept it waxed (Turtle Wax ICE if I recall correctly)

I didn't keep ours waxed and have paid the price on the outer body surfaces ...

I'd agree that the Mercedes outer body paint and corrosion protection surely ain't the greatest ... but OTOH, my chassis and undercarriage is in great shape ... despite being driven in all seasons, all over the US.

Had I kept it waxed I'd bet the outer body would look a whole lot better than it does now.

amazing what a little care and effort will do