Friendly Kubota guy stopped by and

/ Friendly Kubota guy stopped by and #1  

sanmigmike

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830 HST
said after looking at the property and the current logging mess we need a L3830 with heavy duty fourway bucket and rotary cutter and a box scraper, a rake would be nice but.....

He also suggest that if we went for the R-1 tires to have them foamed.... Too much debris and "junk" left from the previous owner. He felt with our slope and all that the R-1's might be slightly better but the R-4s would work. Maybe? I look outside and see mud and mess and water. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

So he is crunching some numbers and I am seeing my plans to get a S&W .500 go into the sunset... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

But I get a tractor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and lots of work to do... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif But lots of seat time... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, I don't recall much talk about foaming tires here. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Did I miss something... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Friendly Kubota guy stopped by and #2  
Foam fill of tires is a wonderful thing for 2 giant reasons:
It adds lots of weight.
The tires are puncture proof.

Downside of foam fill are:
Co$t to fill.
When the tires wear out they have to be cut off the rims.

/ Friendly Kubota guy stopped by and #3  
I have a 454 casull for sale, It will only break one of your wrists /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Friendly Kubota guy stopped by and #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Downside of foam fill are:
Co$t to fill.
When the tires wear out they have to be cut off the rims.)</font>

3. Will jar your fillings loose if you have any rough spots in your pasture / road.

Pete

/ Friendly Kubota guy stopped by and #5  
Mike I just took delivery on my M9000 and I had the tires filled with urethane foam it cost $2900. to do all four Ag tires 12.4-24 fronts and 18.4-30 rears it also according to the dealer added about 3,000lbs to the weight.
Sneaky pete indicated that it would jar your fillings loose on rough pastures and roads I don't have any experience with air filled tires as this is the first tractor I've used as an adult but I will tell you that I don't know if its the size of the machine or the extra 3000lbs but it rides like a dream. Maybe on a smaller lighter tractor it would be rough but mine is wonderful. In addition to the prior mention of them being flat proof it also adds a lot of stability to the tractor for doing loader work and improves traction. Also yes when you wear them out you do have to cut them off with a chain saw to replace them but the rim is preserved as is many times not the case in liquid filled tires, today they are using less caustic liquids in most cases, although you are still hearing of rims that are rusting out plus the newer liquids are expensive (not as much as foam) but when you gouge a foam filled tire you keep on going when you gouge a liquid filled not only do you have a tire to repair or replace you can also lose your liquid and have to spend $ again to refill it. I talked to some folks at a big salvage yard here that uses the foam filled and they added another benefit although you'd have to do something about traction you can continue to run the tires that are foam filled well past the normal replacement time because you can run on the tires with the urethane exposed so if your on a budget like me getting some extra use out of the tires is a bonus as well. I've seen the loader tires at the salvage yard and they weren't kidding they are running with the foam exposed on multiple units.
Steve

/ Friendly Kubota guy stopped by and #6  
<font color="blue"> 3. Will jar your fillings loose if you have any rough spots in your pasture / road. </font>

The front tires are foam filled on both my B2910 and BX2200. Granted these are smaller tractors. And they both have liquid in the rear tires.

I have noticed that the foam in my fronts do have some give and are not like having concrete inside them. I don't think I notice a lot of difference over air in the front. No experience on the back though.

Also, I do know my dealer told me different places use different foam or foam density, and one needs to have them filled at a place that does not make them too solid. He told me who he uses and I took my tires there and had it done.

I am really satisfied with the result, and if I thought punctures on the rear would be a problem for me (not the case) I would have no problem getting the rears filled, except maybe for forking over the cash, as it is not cheap.

My guess is that around here, if you start with the number of gallons needed to fill a tire up to the valve stem with liquid, and multiply that number by 10 (or maybe 11), you may end up with a number that is close to what it would the cost to fully fill a tire with foam. It is not cheap. But it really can be worth it if punctures are an issue.

What I mean to say is that if it took 40 gallons of liquid to fill a tire up to the valve stem, it would probably cost between $400 and $440 to fill the same tire fully with foam.

/ Friendly Kubota guy stopped by and #7  
I'd think that a L-3830 would make pretty quick work of 8 acres what are you going to do with it after the first weekend, alright after the first month? You could go for a smaller L series.

/ Friendly Kubota guy stopped by and
You know, that is kind of the way I feel but more than one person assures me that the other trees, the road and parking areas will not go away. Annnnnnd my wife has big plans on what we will do with the area once the never ending logging is done. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Let's see, we are almost two months into three weeks of logging. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif And the septic system has been run over, I know nothing about them but a cleanout pipe and cap is about fifteen feet from the hole that it used to be in and a few concrete pieces (covers) were moved as well. Oh, and the water faucets around the yard that have been pounded into the ground. Yeah, we are having fun now! Hmm, by the time we fix the road, the drive, the lights, the septic stuff, water lines we will only lose how much! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Yeah, great fun! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All kidding aside more than one dealer that had great ideas for the stumps and stuff looked at them and admitted that their ideas for the getting rid of the stumps did not take into account their size and number... And the land is a mess. And and and and..... Who's side are you anyway?! Arguing for a smaller tractor! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif That has to be against the Tractor-by net code! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I might be the only guy here arguing for a smaller tractor while his wife is arguing for bigger one. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Tractor, she said tractor, bigger tractor, guys. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Friendly Kubota guy stopped by and #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I might be the only guy here arguing for a smaller tractor while his wife is arguing for bigger one. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Tractor, she said tractor, bigger tractor, guys. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

My suggestion- Then stop the bickering and get two tractors /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif There problem solved.

/ Friendly Kubota guy stopped by and #10  
In case you didn't know, Art is a dealer and knows the Kubota line very well. I have 6.5 acres and got a Kubota B-7800 and it is plenty of tractor to keep the drive way kept up and doing other chores on the property. Granted it is probably a little small if I was doing a lot of heavy logging. Getting too big of a machine can cause problems down the road as in compaction of your yard, maneuverability in tight areas, more expensive initial cost & burning more fuel. I would either hire out or rent a larger machine to take care of the initial larger jobs. Just a thought that could save you some money on initial cost as well as if you realize you got too large of a machine and had to trade down you would lose money too. When I was buying my machine I was really tempted to step up to the L3130 but now I'm glad I didn't because I have had my smaller tractor places I could have taken a L3130 which would have meant doing that work by hand /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.
Good luck and have fun.