Friggin Tire/rim sizes

/ Friggin Tire/rim sizes #1  

boustany

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3010, BX2200
Here's the problem. The wife has decided to use a pond for ice skating, but she was spending more time clearing snow than skating with the kids. Plus I had to listen to all the complaining about how hard she worked! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In any event, I hooked the front blower to my little JD 345, and use it to remove the snow. Then I can complain about how hard I 'worked'.

Unfortunately, the 345 has turf tires. The chains are a pain and fall off now and then, so it gets stuck alot while cleaning the rink or driving there and back.

I was thinking about putting new rubber on the lawn tractor. What I was thinking was installing ATV wheels and tires. I can buy cheapy chinese tires, and found a source for 5 hole rims which look like they'll fit.

The problem is, rims and tires seem to use different sizes. How do you know what tire will fit on which rim? I can't rely on the store selling the tires - they are idiots.

Any clues/advice/ridicule for this idea?

When will they make an ATV with a front PTO? Wait, I think I'll patent the idea ....

/ Friggin Tire/rim sizes #2  
Such language in your title ! I guess you deserve to slide on the ice /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Friggin Tire/rim sizes
Friggin ain't swearing! My mom used to use it all the time, although, I must admit, most often after I broke something. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Anybody know anything about tires?

Anybody?

/ Friggin Tire/rim sizes #4  
Such freakin' bad language....

IMO you are wasting your time and $$ trying to refit ATV rims to a JD. I have a JD 318 and two ATV's and I can vouch it's more bother than it's worth trying to do what you propose.

I have turfs on my 318 and have never had a chain come loose in 13 years. The best way to get chains tight is to jack up the rear axle, use a quick link to fasten the chains on the inside of the tires on both sides, then deflate the tires and let the jack down. Use another quick link to fasten the chains on the outside of the tires and reinflate them.

The quick links are more difficult to install than the hardware that comes with most chains but they are much more secure.
If you have a heavy front blower on that 345 its not going to matter what kind of tire you put on the rear, as most of the weight is on the front axle.

Try fabricating a mount so you can hang about 200 lbs of barbell weights on the rear. Cheapest weights you will ever find....they go for 15 cents a pound at my local pawnshop.

/ Friggin Tire/rim sizes
Interesting - and advice is what I wanted!

So, maybe I should work on the chains, not the tires. Whats a quick link?

/ Friggin Tire/rim sizes #6  
A quick link for chains is a loop that has a threaded connection on one side, it unscrews for connecting and then is screwed closed.

My 318 has a 54 inch front blade, 200 lbs of barbell weights on the back and 100 lbs of wheel weights, even with chains the traction is bad, all the weight is on the front axle.

/ Friggin Tire/rim sizes #7  
Did you also go thru the first part of your life thinking your first name was ****? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Friggin Tire/rim sizes
So that's what those things are called!
I'm using a front blower, not a blade, so I suspect my weight distribution won't be so bad. Besides, with my 250 pounds, and the tractor, another 300 pounds of weight may only work if I use scuba gear!

And no, I always knew my name. When my mom would call me in for diner, she would first call me by my oldest brothers name, then the middle brother then me, even after they have moved out.

One day it was "Desi ......... Eric .......... Candy ......... Brian!"

Candy was the dog. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Friggin Tire/rim sizes #9  
>I'm using a front blower, not a blade, so I suspect my weight distribution won't be so bad. Besides, with my 250 pounds, and the tractor, another 300 pounds of weight may only work if I use scuba gear!

You lost me... A snow blower is much heavier than a blade, so if you have a blower, you will need more counterweight on the back of your machine - preferably behind the rear axle.

Right now, the whole thing must be about balancing on the front axle, with all the weight on the smallest tires - if you are worried about going through the ice.

If you hang 300 lbs off the back of the tractor, the rear axle will act like a teeter totter, and actually remove some weight from the front axle. This will give you more stable handling, and less lbs/sq in of weight on the ice. Win/win.

Fasten those chains on proper, & don't waste time with different rims & tires - it won't make a whit of difference on ice.

Didn't want to reply last nite, wasn't sure about that subject wording either.....

--->Paul

/ Friggin Tire/rim sizes #10  
Anytime I put the chains on,I jack it up and deflate the tires . That way I can wiggle them around and get them good and tight,then I air up the tires.