From bad to worse...

/ From bad to worse... #1  

Irod

Tractor
N/a
This is my first post so be kind. We had a couple of warm days in the upper 40's so I thought it would be a good time to install a block heater and a cab heater in my GC1705. I get the block heater installed and started on the cab heater. I decided to use the thermostat bypass for the connections so I would get heat quicker than if I connected to the heater hoses. I connected the inlet for the heater to the thermostat side. I thought the hose was 3/8 but it's 5/16 so now I'm not sure if I will get enough coolant flow to make heat! So I checked all the connections and start filling up the radiator and that is when I see the block heater is leaking. So I drain the coolant again, remove the block heater, and that is when I see a piece of o-ring missing. I don't know if the piece is in the block or if it came out with the heater but I haven't found it. After a few minutes of screaming, I head to the parts store for a new o-ring. I get everything installed and coolant filled so I fire her up and check for leaks. After 5 minutes or so I start to get a little heat. I let it idle for about 30 minutes while I added coolant (radiator cap off) and checked for leaks. I didn't see any rubber chunks in the radiator so I'm still not sure where that piece went. The coolant gauge stays at the first mark and I have a bit more heat. It isn't exactly hot, but it is much warmer.
So here are my questions.
1: if the O-ring is in the the engine will it cause any issues?
2: is the heater connected correctly-thermostat side to inlet?
:mad:View attachment 492841View attachment 492842View attachment 492843View attachment 492844

/ From bad to worse... #2  
I have the GC1720 so I have installed the same block heater. Was the O-ring intact before you started? Did you lube the O-ring and frost plug hole before your started? What did you use to 'pop' the block heater into the hole? I don't think the missing O-ring part is in the block, I suspect it peeled apart during your install.

As for the temp gauge, I have the slightly higher HP model and my temp gauge never goes much higher than that EVEN in the dead of summer 90-degree days. Get the RPMs up, top off the radiator and put a good amount in the reservoir bottle and run it. If you want to build heat, try blocking the cooling air intake (at your feet) with cardboard.

At idle, that engine will never get any warmer.

/ From bad to worse...
Coldsteelva- You are right about the O-ring being ripped off during install. I did lube the O-ring but The heater didn't 'pop' like the videos showed, in fact it was extremely tight. I had to use a hammer handle to drive it all the way in. The new O-ring went in with just a little push. I attached a photo showing the cut O-ring. It looks like it caught the block and was probably cut off when I forced it in. Thanks for your help. I'll fill up the reservoir and block off the air intake.
View attachment 492868

/ From bad to worse... #4  
I've never seen a heater box like that before for a tractor. Very nice. I bet once you get a good load on the engine, the heater will put out some heat.

The broken oring should not cause any problems.

/ From bad to worse...
I've never seen a heater box like that before for a tractor. Very nice. I bet once you get a good load on the engine, the heater will put out some heat.

The broken oring should not cause any problems.

Good news - I found the other piece of O-ring on the garage floor. I don't know how I could have missed it, anyways I'll be able to sleep tonight. The heater is a Maradyne Sant Fe. It's a lot larger than I thought it would be. I guess I should have measured first.

/ From bad to worse... #6  
What hose is 5/16? not sure I understand what you're saying. What size fittings are on the heater? Should be 5/8"
Also, Is the heater higher than the radiator? If so it may take some time to bleed the air out of the heater. I partially block my radiator when it's below zero degrees to keep the engine temp up.

/ From bad to worse...
What hose is 5/16? not sure I understand what you're saying. What size fittings are on the heater? Should be 5/8"
Also, Is the heater higher than the radiator? If so it may take some time to bleed the air out of the heater. I partially block my radiator when it's below zero degrees to keep the engine temp up.

The hoses marked inlet (thermostat) and outlet (pump) are 5/16", heater is 5/8". Yes, the heater is higher than radiator.
View attachment 493775
This weekend I'm going to set the heater on the floor and let it run for awhile and see if I can't bled the air out.

/ From bad to worse... #8  
IROD where did you get the cab. Do you take it off during the summer. Is it something you installed yourself.

thanks

/ From bad to worse...
IROD where did you get the cab. Do you take it off during the summer. Is it something you installed yourself.

thanks[/QUOTE
Here - Original Tractor Cab Enclosure For Massey Ferguson GC175 and GC1715
I bought the tractor in August and didn't get the cab until October, so I'm not sure about leaving it on for the summer. I didn't spend extra for the safety glass windshield. I plan on fixing some of the fit and mounting issues this summer. It isn't a weather tight cab so be warned. With both doors on I get a lot of exhaust in the cab, so I just have one door on until I figure out a way to get the exhaust up and away some how. One idea is to cut a hole in the hood and install a removable vertical stack, but Im not sure I really wat to do that, maybe this summer. I'll try to post some pictures in a couple days.

/ From bad to worse... #10  
Exhaust in the cab would suck. I live in central indiana so while we do get cold weather at times its mostly warm. Unless the weather went back to the seventies then I would really consider one or most likely get one. I have seen these priced all the way to 5k but that was a nice looking cab for that money. However if it were to let exhaust in the cab that would be frustrating

thanks[/QUOTE
Here - Original Tractor Cab Enclosure For Massey Ferguson GC175 and GC1715
I bought the tractor in August and didn't get the cab until October, so I'm not sure about leaving it on for the summer. I didn't spend extra for the safety glass windshield. I plan on fixing some of the fit and mounting issues this summer. It isn't a weather tight cab so be warned. With both doors on I get a lot of exhaust in the cab, so I just have one door on until I figure out a way to get the exhaust up and away some how. One idea is to cut a hole in the hood and install a removable vertical stack, but Im not sure I really wat to do that, maybe this summer. I'll try to post some pictures in a couple days.