From which side do you mount your tractor?

/ From which side do you mount your tractor?
Wagtail, I forgot to mention that there are also two figure of eight tracks at Fontwell and Windsor.

Totally agree with you about many horses being better suited to right or left hand tracks. I know that many racing people also think that some jockeys are better going one way or the other. My experience is extremely limited, only in "unofficial" races on straight courses except for one on a country track in NSW, but I can see the reasoning behind it - jockeys become accustomed to going in a particular direction as well as the horses.

I am also aware of the importance of TB racing in Australia, and some fantastic horses have been bred there over many years. Black Caviar is only the latest in a long line, and their success in major races around the world is proof of their outstanding ability. I never did get to the Melbourne Cup, being in northern NSW for almost all the time I lived in Australia, but you are right - the whole country seems to stop operating whilst it is being run. Hope you pick the winner on Tuesday. As always, I will watch out for it coming onto YouTube.

/ From which side do you mount your tractor? #82  
OldMac,

Well, there are those who think that our sense of curiosity is a survival trait we evolved when we first began to develop intelligence, so "idle curiosity" may just have an intrinsic value, even when we think it is just frivolous. The lessons we have learned her vicariously are proof of that.

BTW!, even with our MMM mounted I only ever mounted on the right if the whole shooting match wa shut down, not just the PTO shut down.

Thomas

/ From which side do you mount your tractor? #83  
I don't have a choice! :laughing:
P4200013.JPG PA010010.JPG
But I ain't complaining! :D

/ From which side do you mount your tractor?
PhysAssist, I agree that idle curiosity has a value. I have often said that I have more useless information in my head than most folks - but it is surprising how often it has turned out to be useful. I remember many years ago coming across a small group of people who wanted to know the capacity of a certain vessel (British Imperial Measurements) in gallons and weight, and one of them was a Professor of Physics at a nearby University. They had calculated the cu.ft. and he knew that 1cc of water weighed 1gramme (ambient temperature) further that 1000cc was a litre and weighed 1 kilogramme.

He had just done all the calculations by using his wet finger on a piece of wood, assisted by people remembering a certain number that he would need later in his calculations, and come up with the answer when I arrived. I was taught at school that a pint of pure water weighs a pound and a quarter, and I know the US says a pint is a pound the world around. Both are true if you restrict the world to the places that use US liquid measure. The rest was easy - 10lbs to the gallon, 62.5lbs to the cu.ft., etc. That convinced me to continue being idly curious.

Anyway, as Xfaxman says, he has no choice. So....... has anybody seen a tractor where the manufacturer restricts you to enter ONLY from the right? I have seen quite a few left entry only, but never a right entry only.

/ From which side do you mount your tractor? #85  
Left side 99% of the time. My FEL controls make it a little more difficult on the right.

/ From which side do you mount your tractor? #86  
I mount from whatever side I'm standing ;)