Frond wheels lock up on B2400 HSD with bi-speed turn 4 wheel drive

/ Frond wheels lock up on B2400 HSD with bi-speed turn 4 wheel drive #1  

tomf

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2400 HST
I need some help. On my Kubota B2400 the front wheels locked up as I was making a tight turn while mowing. I was able to unlock the wheels by backing up and straightening the wheels. Going forward, the front wheels would lock up after about 5 feet of travel. I managed to get the B2400 back to my garage by backing up. As I was troubleshooting, I noticed I was able to go forward but as soon as I tried to make a turn, the front wheels would lock up. I was able to steer while backing up without the front wheels locking up. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions. Thanks

/ Frond wheels lock up on B2400 HSD with bi-speed turn 4 wheel drive #2  
Gears are busted of have something jammed, either in the differential or the hubs.

/ Frond wheels lock up on B2400 HSD with bi-speed turn 4 wheel drive
It appears my front axle is busted. DSC_0087.JPG

/ Frond wheels lock up on B2400 HSD with bi-speed turn 4 wheel drive #4  
I can not see if your front axle is busted from the picture... but the front pinion gear is bad, and "likely" the crown gear is also.

/ Frond wheels lock up on B2400 HSD with bi-speed turn 4 wheel drive
I can not see if your front axle is busted from the picture... but the front pinion gear is bad, and "likely" the crown gear is also.

It is definitely busted. Those two pieces are normally welded together. Would it be OK to get them welded back together or just get a new axle case?

Because I'm ignorant, can you tell me what you see that indicates the pinion gear is bad? Which one is the pinion gear and which is the crown gear? FYI I do have a repair manual and a parts manual.

The bi-speed box basically has to be disassembled to remove it from the bearing holder (not sure if this is the correct name). What should I be looking for to see it that is damaged?

Thanks.

I'm adding a couple of more close-ups.
DSC_0002.JPGDSC_0007.JPGDSC_0008.JPGDSC_0009.JPG

/ Frond wheels lock up on B2400 HSD with bi-speed turn 4 wheel drive #7  
The back lash and free play on those gears are set with feeler gauges and micrometers that measure smaller than human hair. Welding it will never work or last. Better to find a good used axel.

/ Frond wheels lock up on B2400 HSD with bi-speed turn 4 wheel drive #8  
The pinion is the small gear on the right in your original picture, it drives the crown gear in the tube ... the pinion looks all chewed up so I will guess the crown is also...
Like mpham said... I agree look for a salvaged front axle assembly complete... or cover the hole and leave the driveshaft off and you now have a 2 wheel drive tractor.

/ Frond wheels lock up on B2400 HSD with bi-speed turn 4 wheel drive #9  
The pinion is the small gear on the right in your original picture, it drives the crown gear in the tube ... the pinion looks all chewed up so I will guess the crown is also...
Like mpham said... I agree look for a salvaged front axle assembly complete... or cover the hole and leave the driveshaft off and you now have a 2 wheel drive tractor.
Ya. Replace for a long-term fix, but just 2wd it for now if time or cash is short. It's not like you are gonna break you front axle any worse running it without an input shaft.

/ Frond wheels lock up on B2400 HSD with bi-speed turn 4 wheel drive #10  
The front axle is cast as a unit, welding would not hold up in this situation.