Front and Rear Duals on 6430 Premium?

/ Front and Rear Duals on 6430 Premium? #1  

harsinfamfarms

Tractor
Oliver, John Deere Farmall
Hello all,

I own a 6430 Premium with the PowrQuad Plus transmission. We use it for choring, mowing hay and baling. We are impressed with the guts on this little tractor, and because of that, we are considering buying another.
What we would use it for is to pull an old tiling machine. Our current tiling setup is a Farmall Blackstripe Hydro 100 pulling a Vermeer PT18 Tiling machine. This tractor has duals on the back and a big Vermeer winch on the front. It's a great setup, but it gets bogged down in the mud very easily (we have pulled it through mud frame deep with the winch in the past.)
So my question is, would it be possible to put front and rear duals on a 6430? We would want either a PowerQuad Plus with the creeper gears or an IVT. If anyone has any experience in this, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks

/ Front and Rear Duals on 6430 Premium? #2  
Anything is possible BUT I couldn't find any listing for duals in parts catalog on a 6430 Premium

/ Front and Rear Duals on 6430 Premium?
Anything is possible BUT I couldn't find any listing for duals in parts catalog on a 6430 Premium

Yeah, I looked in the parts catalog before coming here too. I have seen videos and pictures of 6430's with rear duals, but never front duals and I don't know where they got the rear duals. I know that the 30 series of the larger frame tractors can have front duals, but I don't know about this one.

/ Front and Rear Duals on 6430 Premium? #4  
You could put "tiger" style duals on it if JD doesnt offer what you need. I would be leery of putting duals on frnt axle tho.

/ Front and Rear Duals on 6430 Premium? #6  
If the tractor has caster action FWD you should not do this. That would be where the front tires tip when turning. The tractors with the front duals do not tip. The 8000 series with front duals have one of 2 axles, the 3rd axle (caster axle) can not get duals.

I'm sure you can get after market, but it may damage the axle.

If the tractor has caster action FWD you should not do this. That would be where the front tires tip when turning. The tractors with the front duals do not tip. The 8000 series with front duals have one of 2 axles, the 3rd axle (caster axle) can not get duals.

I'm sure you can get after market, but it may damage the axle.

Ok, that makes good sense. I'll check my owner's manual and see just what my tractor has. Off the top of my head, I would say it has caster action, but I can't say for sure.

/ Front and Rear Duals on 6430 Premium? #8  
Ok, that makes good sense. I'll check my owner's manual and see just what my tractor has. Off the top of my head, I would say it has caster action, but I can't say for sure.

I'm 99% sure it does.

You should be able to put duals on the rear w/out issue.

It also takes a large amount of HP to use duals on the front. I doubt the tractor has enough HP for front and back. If mud is the issue, a company does make tracks for the front and rear of tractors.

We have a 6605 which is close. I could see it using duals on the rear, but it would be over matched with them on the front.

Here is a picture of a tracked one.

File:John Deere 6430 Premium.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

http://www.soucy-track.com/en-CA/products/ag/tracteurs/st-300/photos

/ Front and Rear Duals on 6430 Premium? #9  
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUPAPzqNy8k]Fieldays 2011 fullpull John Deere 6430 - YouTube[/ame]

So... it can be done, but we would not be using it for tractor pulling :D. If the caster issue does exist, then they probably would not worry about it, as they would be making a pull, and then jerking the front duals off before going home.

JasG said:
You should be able to put duals on the rear w/out issue.

It also takes a large amount of HP to use duals on the front. I doubt the tractor has enough HP for front and back. If mud is the issue, a company does make tracks for the front and rear of tractors.

Yeah, the rear I can see easily. We may be able to get by with just that, but I thought if we could do on the front too, it would be the cherry on top. I'm not sure I understand the correlation between HP and front duals. Could you explain?

We have bought a parts 1066 with an Elwood front axle, but anyone who knows about them knows that you need about 40 acres to turn around. Our plan was to swap the front ends on the 1066 and our hydro 100, but we are a bit worried about how wide the turning radius would be for backing up to start a trench.

On a side note, can anyone make a comparison of pros and cons between an IVT and a PowerQuad Plus with creepers? I have heard that the IVT is great but can sometimes be sluggish or even inoperable in cold weather, but I don't know if it's true. Anyone with experience would be appreciated.