Front Axle Fluid?

/ Front Axle Fluid? #1  

oldballs

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 , Case 448 , Kubota B2650
My BX2660 owners manual says it comes with Super UDT in the front axle. But it says that 80W-90 could also be used. That's confusing to me. Although the maintenance schedule didn't call for a check, I pulled that plug (boy is it hard to get out), and the fluid didn't even reach the stick. With a ruler, I measured one inch of fluid as it was received brand new from the dealer. The dealer says to use Super UDT to bring it up where it belongs. I hope no damage was done, because I ran it all summer mowing for about 50 hours in its OE condition. Should I stay with the Super UDT or change to 80W-90 when it is time for a change?:(:confused:

/ Front Axle Fluid? #2  
All will work. The highest level of protection would be an 80w-90 gear lube with the "EP" (extreme pressure) designation. While this is considered overkill by some, so what. Even if you buy full synthetic, it is still not very much money.

/ Front Axle Fluid? #3  
This issue has been debated to death. Try a search and see many posts about opinions on the matter.

/ Front Axle Fluid? #4  
Kubota has reommended both oils for years. I know of another axle manufacturer that has supplied the same axle equipment to different tractor manufacturers and would up with the same differing lube recommendations. The most important thing is to maintain the proper drain intervals. After that, take your pick.

/ Front Axle Fluid?
Thanks, folks. I'll do the search also, just for all the info therein.

/ Front Axle Fluid? #7  
My fluid level was low from the dealer to. I had ran it for two weeks before I had discovered it being low. I recently done the 300hr. service and changed to 75w-90 synthetic. I think the gear oil has a lot more protection then the thinner SUDT for gears.

/ Front Axle Fluid? #8  
For those that worry about the SUDT being too thin to properly lubricate the front axle, what lubricates the rear axle? SUDT!!