Front axle Oil

/ Front axle Oil #1  

chuck172

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SEH, Ford 4500TLB, Ford 8n
My 50 hour service is coming up, is there a preference between sae 80w-90 gear oil, or mobilfluid 424 in the front axle?
I plan on using the mobilfluid in the transmission.

/ Front axle Oil #2  
Which oil in the front diff has been debated in prior posts. Kioti list either as acceptable and installs hydro fluid from the factory. The members each have their own ideas. I don't think a front diff has gone bad because of either oil. If hydro fluid is good for the rear diff then it should be fine for the front. You already have hydro fluid for the service so just use it in the front. I don't think there has been a diffinitive answer or conclusion. Personally, I use 80w-90.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Front axle Oil #3  
Use whatever is darker so you can see it thru that site glass.

/ Front axle Oil
sight glass?

/ Front axle Oil #5  
Front axle has a site glass on the left rear of the axle.

/ Front axle Oil
Thanks Murph, I never knew about the sightglass.

/ Front axle Oil #7  
I used the MobilFluid 424 in mine, mainly because I had it. Check the sight glass, after filling, run it a while and check again.

/ Front axle Oil #9  
I recently "Tripped over" a John Deere Tech. Service Bulletin on this topic while searching for some other information.

According to the bulletin, The use of UTTO (Universal Tractor Transmission Oil) IMPROVES the life of the seals substantially, and the bearings as well.

All without troubles with the gears.

Win Win!
And if it's from J-D, You Know it's good ;-)

/ Front axle Oil #10  
I recently "Tripped over" a John Deere Tech. Service Bulletin on this topic while searching for some other information.

According to the bulletin, The use of UTTO (Universal Tractor Transmission Oil) IMPROVES the life of the seals substantially, and the bearings as well.

All without troubles with the gears.

Win Win!
And if it's from J-D, You Know it's good ;-)

Not to make an argument (lets call it a discussion please) here but as a matter of fact: Given that any number of machines have gear oil as the lubricant for one or more of the gears, bearings and/or seals and knowing that some of those machines operate @ hwy speeds, vs. off road, I'm not so certain that there is a one fits all truism r.e. tractor UTTO?
I do plan to use it in my Kioti front axle.