Front bale spear multi-function

/ Front bale spear multi-function #1  

Kfbeal

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 JD 5103
In regards to this thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/132506-jd-quickattach-building.html

I finally got around to taking pictures. I had some 4x4 square tubing we cut off a hipper (row disc) several years ago that I used to make the box frame. I used the angle iron from the guage wheels and sweeps for the hangers and lower attachments.

I already had a rear bale spear that we've used for 20 years or so, and plan to get another here shortly from TSC or make my own, so I made this to attach my current rear bale spear to so I can use this for other things. It's simply angle up top, and angle on bottom for it to rest on. I've already carried 2 - 5.5 'x 5' round bales to the pasture about 2 miles without any problems and only had my box blade on the back.

Pretty simple deal here, but I plan to add some hooks and other things to it to prevent bending up my bucket for lifting heavy items.

Beginning:

01.JPG

Beginning 2:

02.JPG

Finished:

03.JPG

Finished 2:

04.JPG

/ Front bale spear multi-function #2  
Hope the multi-function part isn't giggn' cats! (1st Photo)

/ Front bale spear multi-function #3  
I know nothing about spearing and moving bales but from looking at the way it pivots on that 1 pin couldn't it potentially flip back, looks like that could only happen if you hoisted one up high and curled the bucket back. I'm sure under normal use the bale spear would be only rolled back slightly with bale just off the ground.

Just a novices observation, I've heard those big bales can weigh over 1,000#

You can use that square frame now for other applications like a pallet fork carrier etc, looks like a good platform to work off of.
JB

/ Front bale spear multi-function #4  
Looks good! Now you can look for a set of forks to adapt to your frame also:D

/ Front bale spear multi-function
Ahh man, I knew I was going to catch he!! about my kids kitty. He follows me everywhere, and just lucky the yellow lab wasn't in the pic. He was jerking on my cables when I was welding, took off with my helmet, gloves, chipping hammer, and extension cords.

You are right about rolling backwards. I plan to weld some angle iron with pins similar to the lower connections to both the spear and the frame to prevent that. I don't ever plan on raising any that high, so it wasn't an issue for that but for other people it may. My first thought was to chain it if I planned to. But you are right, it would be dangerous and I plan to mount it with some sort of pinning system. These bales are dry and were easy to stick, and this spear doesn't stick green bales too well so I may end up using another spear up front. I'll have to wait until next season to really test it sticking it on the front.

Yea, I printed out the pics of your forks to go off of. My father-in-law has a set he said I could have so maybe I can modify this to accomodate.

I'm trying to make it where I can attach the spear and forks for the multi-function without blocking myself of one or the other.

I got that Lincoln 225 AC from a guy at work for $100. First time I really welded in about 10 years. It took me a bit to get it going. I found the 7018AC rods weld much better than the 6011 for me. Maybe the 6011 weren't really for AC, I'm not sure.