front blade for snow, dirt, manure, etc

/ front blade for snow, dirt, manure, etc #1  

JeffreyG

I'm getting a new JD GT235E, 18 hp, 54" deck, with 48" blade. 4x42 lb rear hang (suitcase) weights.

Didn't buy chains yet. Dealer said often they are not needed if you have rear weights behind the axle, and they can be bought later.

Anyway, what are your garden tractor plowing experiences? I've got a walk behind snowblower for heavy snow. But if the blade works good, I'll probably use that more. Driveway is gravel, 150 feet long, has a turnaround, slight incline but not much.

Also planning on using the blade to level some rough spots in the lawn and pasture. And to scrap manure.

Not sure how useful the blade will be. But figured it would be fun to try /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif (and I couldn't afford a bigger tractor with a loader /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

Do you think chains will be a no-brainer necessity? I think they are $75 from JD. Might be cheaper at a tractor supply store. Are chains rough on the tires?

Thanks.

/ front blade for snow, dirt, manure, etc #2  
I have a JD335 with about the same set up. I had two of the rear weights, and really should have gotten the other two.
I would get it home and try it out, then, if you need chains, go for it.
I probably would have liked it better with chains. I could move crushed stone around. Ended up back blading more than trying to push. Just remember to take small amounts.

/ front blade for snow, dirt, manure, etc #3  
Get chains.
Your 235 is too light without, weight or not.

You'll be able to plow snow up to 12" dry no problem, angle the blade, and keep moving on level surfaces. If you go downhill, you'll have a hard time backing uphill due to the weight on the front.
Pump your front tires up to the max.
Your success pushing dirt will depend. How much, how far, how hard. Take small bites and ride the controls to keep the depth well controlled. Often back dragging works better to move the material. Dig forward, drag /level backward.

Don't think the 235 has a diff lock or differential brakes. Both really help with a front blade. Can get you unstuck a lot. Otherwise one wheel will spin a lot!

For snow on gravel, you might want to build better skidshoes. The ones on my blade were useless - too small, too easy to bend. Remember - your driveway will narrow over the winter, so start wide.

Trick with chains - deflate the rear tires somewhat, install the chains as tight as you can, then re-inflate the tire. Now they are snug and won't slide. Properly sized and installed chains won't hurt your tires.

/ front blade for snow, dirt, manure, etc #4  
I agree with BigEddy. I had a 48" front blade for my 20hp Craftsman Gardem Tractor with chains and on extra weight (other than my 250 lbs). I plowed my gravel driveway and 3/4 mile of neighborhood gravel roads for a couple of years. Light < 12" snows.

Never had any success at all using the blade to push dirt or gravel but then I didn't try with chains or any extra weight.

When I got my Kubota B6100 tractor, I adapted the snow blade to the FEL and was actually able to make a passable track through a 30" snowfall this past winter. I'm sure I never would have been able to do that with the Craftsman!

/ front blade for snow, dirt, manure, etc
Ok, OK

I told the dealer to add chains to the list. And he confirmed best way to install is to let air out first, then pump up after the chains are on. Thanks for that tip!

Of course, wife doesn't know. Not sure if she will notice that $75 difference. She'll notice the chains and ask! Um, um, I thought we might need them afterall. Besides, I will plow a path for you to your sheep.

/ front blade for snow, dirt, manure, etc #6  
I also had chains on my GT w/plow. As someone else mentioned with deeper snows the driveway gets narrow pretty fast... only used mine for snow. Kind of wish I had kept it when I got the 4110.

/ front blade for snow, dirt, manure, etc #7  
If you have a choice on the chains try and get 2 link spacing as oposed to 4 link. this is simply a cross chain link every 2 links (the chain that goes round the tire) . They are a big improvment over 4 link.
You can also load the tires with windshield washer solvent . This works great ,doesn`t rust like calsium chloride and is cheap ,usually under $1.00 a gallon for the blue stuff. All you do is take your tire and rim off the tractor ,deflate it and lay it down ,step the upper bead off the rim ,leave the lower on .push it down in one spot and start dumping. You can get around 7 1/2 gal. per 23 x 10.50 x12 tire. adds about 8# gal. then reinfate the tire on the rim. I have down this on all of my cub cadets and it makes a big. dif. pushing snow. I also have switched to ag tires on the rear and will never go back to turfs. as long as you are not to aggresive on the hydro (fwd to rev. ) I think it is actually less damaging to the lawn. Turfs seam to spin to easy.
The windshield sol. trick is credited to Travis over at ihcubcadet.com he got a lot of guys doing it over there ,they have anual plow days where they plow under 20-30 acres in a day with singlle bottom plows and havn`t had any problems so far. I have used it 2 winters for snow removal and at 2 plow days.

/ front blade for snow, dirt, manure, etc
I don't see myself filling the tires with liquid. Maybe if I have problems with traction, I'll have someone else do it. I'm just not comfortable with the idea of trying to break the bead and re-seal it. I'd rather have the tire guys at the Agway do it, or the John Deere dealer if needed.

I'll see how the turf tires do.

Guess it is all just wait and see.

/ front blade for snow, dirt, manure, etc #9  
I run a Deere 318 with Fluid Filled tires, 75 LB wheel weights, chains and I hang 100 lbs off the 3 pt. Pushes snow like nothing and can do a number on loose material (rock, dirt).

My problem is diggin into the gravel with the blade... I need to work a better skid design or add wheels.

/ front blade for snow, dirt, manure, etc #10  
I have a 355D with the 48" blade, AG tires all the way around and 5 of the 42 pound suitcase weights. As previously noted, it does a great job pushing snow. Ice is another story and this is where you would like to have chains. I live in Maryland and we usually only get a few storms each winter and they are usually not bad. Last year was my first year with my setup and we had a blizzard with over 20" of snow. My tractor did not have any problem moving the snow.