Snow Attachments Front Blade or Snow Blower?

/ Front Blade or Snow Blower? #1  

Hook

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3010
I will be soon be moving to a new house with a 1/3 mile long driveway (paved). I'm thinking that a front blade is my best bet for removing the snow (cheaper, has other uses, we live in NJ & don't get a ton of snow).

Is this sound thinking? Or will I be sorry I don't have a snow blower with a driveway that long?

Hook

/ Front Blade or Snow Blower? #2  
I have a snowplow mounted on my old JD750 and a walk behind JD snow blower. I enjoyed work with the blade. It works great! I am now buying a NH TC45D and one of my important attachments is the NH's 702C blade with angle control (be sure you get this option). One of the minor drawbacks of the blade is the drift on each side due to the high wind condition, however; in NJ, I don't think it is a big problem. On the other hand, the JD snow blower tend to blow back on your face if the wind direction is heading toward you unless you have a tractor with CAB. Consider the cost difference, it's a safe bet to get a blade. Beside, the blade can also be used for other purposes.

/ Front Blade or Snow Blower? #3  
Hook
That's the same way I feel about snowblowers.I can't afford to pay for and store an attachment so rarely needed.Right now I use FEL bucket and rear blade. Curtis has a great looking plow that mounts to loader arms/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.Maybe I'll have the $$ to buy all the stuff on the wish list someday.Your profile says TBD for tractor, still looking?
regards
Mutt

/ Front Blade or Snow Blower? #4  
Loader mounted blade....

Be warry of a loader mounted blade! They are very hard on the loader and tractor!! That is why,I was told that Alo does not sell them in North America.

/ Front Blade or Snow Blower? #5  
Re: Loader mounted blade....

I am in agreement with Woodbeef. My snow blade is mounted directly on the tractor NOT the FEL!

/ Front Blade or Snow Blower? #6  

I was thinking of mounting my snow blade to my loader arms, but after reading these replies, im a little worried.Is this not an acceptable way to do it? Isn`t that exactly how the "Curtis" blades mount?What could possibaly be damaged?Any help would be appreciated.
Mike

/ Front Blade or Snow Blower? #7  

Two reasons: First, it gives more power to the blade directly. Second, its more danger to have the FEL as part of the snow pushing operation. Unlike the normal FEL operation, when you push the snow, you are going at a lot faster speed. This means if you should bump againest a solid object (curb for example) you are not putting the FEL to test. Beside, I would rather put my FEL in the garage during the cold winter and have a good rest! /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif On the other hand, if you are careful, the points I am making is not a great concern.

/ Front Blade or Snow Blower? #8  

All good loader mounted snowblades use a spring trip system with a break away cutting edge or molboard. They utilize springs to return the blade to plowing position once the immovable object has passed. We run 14 on loaders and 23 tractor frame mounts for commercial parking lot maintenance.

/ Front Blade or Snow Blower? #9  

Snowplower,

Thank you for the REAL experienced feedback. What kind of tractors you use for parking lot maintenance? Can you share some pros and cons on each setup?

/ Front Blade or Snow Blower?
Poster: HR_Mutt
Subject: Re: Front Blade or Snow Blower?

> That's the same way I feel about snowblowers. I can't
> afford to pay for and store an attachment so rarely
> needed.Right now I use FEL bucket and rear blade. Curtis
> has a great looking plow that mounts to loader arms.
> Maybe I'll have the $$ to buy all the stuff on the wish list
> someday.

The JD dealer showed me that Curtis unit today. It doesn't save any money, but it makes the baled easier to attacher/detach. But storage is not a problem for me (lots of space in the barn), so I'm going with the FEL & rear blade.

> Your profile says TBD for tractor, still looking?

Yep, though I now have it narrowed down to JD4200 & Kubota B2910. I've test driven them each once. I'm going back for another test ride tomorrow. I'm down to the fine points now.

> regards
> Mutt

Hook