Grading Front blade vs. rear blade

/ Front blade vs. rear blade #1  

Anonymous Poster

Getting a 4100 w/ 54" bucket, 60" mower. For grading gravel and moving snow which is the best alternative? The front blade at dealer is $950 and you have to remove loader. The dealer tried to sell me this option. What is the most useful? Where do I get it? How bad would it be for the tractor to be outside yet covered up vs. being in a shed/barn? Any comments on rear work light option?

thanks for the help!

/ Front blade vs. rear blade #2  
Carl, I would think that front blade would work best, but don't know whether it's worth the cost difference. Of course, I don't play in the snow in my part of the country, but I do occasionally work during the hours of darkness, so the rear work light is great for me.

Bird

/ Front blade vs. rear blade #3  
I know some of the quick-change loader attachments are very quick and easy. Myself, I'd rather have everything I need already on the tractor. To me, loaders aren't very useful for snow removal, but they sure are useful for stacking it and pushing piles around. The bucket gets winter use other than snow as well. I just want the loader there and ready to go when I want to use it, and that means 3ph stuff for me. I just got used to driving backwards and don't even think about it anymore--no problem. My gear transmission does have 4 reverse gears, and I imagine that HST's also will run over at a wide ground speed range in reverse. However, I don't think I'd want to stick myself with a lot of work in reverse if there were only 2 reverse gears. I use a blower, and the engine has to be run near PTO RPM. There isn't much variation in ground speed except through the gears.

You might come to grips with the idea of grading gravel drives before you buy a blade. An inexpensive blade, front or rear, may not be the tool you end up wanting. I do have canopy lights front and rear, but I'm able to do the work during the day unless there's a really big snow.

/ Front blade vs. rear blade #4  
TomG, that's just another of the advantages of HST; you can keep the engine at PTO speed and vary your ground speed throughout the tractor's entire range of speed, either forward or backwards.

Bird

/ Front blade vs. rear blade #5  
Carl,
Do you live where the snowfall adds up?
If so you might want to consider a plow,and if you could attach the plow to your bucket with a quick disconnect pin setup than you have the best of both worlds.
Like TomG kinda said about useing a bucket to remove snow and I agree

If your not in a snow climate than a back blade would fit your needs year round.

Keeping the tractor out of the elements I believe will only have a longer life span.

At least one light you should consider for the rear,for you never know what you might hit while backing up.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif