Chains front chains

/ front chains #11  
This subject has been discussed a number of times before.

First of all, you have to be a contortionist to try to put chains on a BX 24 without taking the wheels off. It is my speculation, and clearly labeled, it may even be impossible. The most important thing in putting on the chains is to make sure the cross links are not put on diagonally. The cross links must be 90* to the side chains. This is rather simple with the R-4's (which I have) but I cannot testify to the other tire styles. I do know that if the chains are properly installed on the rear of a BX-24, there should be no need for snubbers.

As far as chaining the front wheels is concerned, it is my 'understanding' (hear-say, not factually known to the author) there may be a problem with clearance of the steering linkage.

/ front chains #12  
idaguide said:
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm curious what you have in the round white container out on the FEL.
grae

It's a piece of 4" PVC that holds some extra chains.

/ front chains #13  
Ok, here's the deal. I went to Home Depot and bought everything that I could possibly think of to help out and here is what I figured out. The simplest, cheapest, and most secure solution was to remove the crappy "fastener" that tirechains.com gives you attached to the chains (that keeps popping off) and replace it with a small (like 5") turnbuckle (about $3). This makes it simple to hook it up and tension the chains without busting your knuckles. Piece of cake. No need for fancy tensioners.

And I agree. No good way to put these on a BX24 without taking off the rears.

/ front chains #14  
Let the air out of the tires. Put on chains as tight as you can. Inflate tires. Problem solved, tight chains.

ron

/ front chains #15  
They specifically caution against doing that in the instructions that come with the chains. Not sure why.

/ front chains #16  
Maybe, but it sure beats having a chain come off in the snow a half mile from the shop. I have never hurt a tire or a chain by this method of installation.

ron

/ front chains #17  
acohen100 said:
No good way to put these on a BX24 without taking off the rears.

You might want to check out the tread below on TbN. See the first set of photographs on the thread - this is the way I put my chains on my MX5000. Instead of driving over the chain, however, I block the other three tires and jack up the tractor while it's in neutral. I then spin the tire. Quick and easy with minimal lifting. It takes me about 45 minutes to one hour to install the chains on all four tires. By the way, I have found that the spring-ring tensioners (I believe they are available at tirechains.com) work best at keeping the tires tight as they tend to equalize tension around the chain a bit better than rubber tie-downs (which I've used in the past).

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/94114-putting-chains.html?highlight=tire+chains

/ front chains #18  
I'm sure this method of installing the chains works well on that tractor model.

My recommendation was directed specifically to the BX-24 which has very little room to work with.

/ front chains #19  
Agreed. That tractor in the pics has a lot of wheel clearance. There is just no room to work with the BX series. You can't really get to the back side of the rear wheels.

Also I found that there is no good way to get front chains on either. They are easier to put on but they can not clear the steering linkages and hang up as the tire turns. Bummer. Wasted $60 on those.

/ front chains #20  
I just bought rear chains for my L48....almost $400 including tensioners. I was told that front only can cause steering joint problems due to the extra stress while turning. I bought the rear after I had set out to buy front only after hearing this advice. The fronts where $250. So far I am very happy, they make a huge difference plowing slick driveways uphill, especially as the L48 is so slow uphill and heavy. I wish I had bought them years ago.