Oil & Fuel front differential oil level?

/ front differential oil level? #1  

johann

Silver Member
Tractor
bx2200
I have recently been told that I should check oil level in the front end by not screwing in the cap with the dip stick, and I should just set it down in the hole, but don't screw it in. It seems to me that this would cause me to over fill. If this is right I have been running too little oil, I was screwing it in to check level. while I am talking oil, any one have a good tip for seeing the SUDT oil on the stick? It is so clear, I know it is on there, because I have to touch it to see where it is wet.

Last edited:
   / front differential oil level? #2  
I have recently been told that I should check oil level in the front end by not screwing in the cap with the dip stick, and I should just set it down in the hole, but don't screw it in. It seems to me that this would cause me to over fill. If this is right I have been running too little oil, I was screwing it in to check level. while I am talking oil, any one have a good tip for seeing the SUDT oil on the stick? It is so clear, I know it is on there, because I have to touch it to see where it is wet.

I used a die and threaded the last inch of the dipstick (mine is round). It makes seeing the oil level a lot easier. As to level, the tractor does not move fast enough to worry about over filling it as long as there is airspace available for expansion and circulation around the gears. That is my own opinion, of course. I also use 90 weight gear oil...... 3710 HST 4wd