Front Drive End Play

/ Front Drive End Play #1  

vongiese

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2210D, Sany SY35 Excavator, Kubota 4060LE,
I have end play at the main pivot pin in the the front axle housing of my 2210D. The manual says it should be less than 0.02" of end play, but i have about 0.2". I discovereded it when attempting to turn the steering wheel while the tractor was off - the pumpkin would bump front and back mounts of the frame as I turned the wheel L and R. My manual says this can be adjusted with shims. Does anyone know how this works? Add or remove the shims? Is it really a problem or potential problem?
thanks!

/ Front Drive End Play #2  
You remove the shims from behind the front flange with 4 bolts. It is attached to the end of the pivot shaft. I usually do it with the tractor on jack stands under the frame. You don't remove the bolts, just loosen them enough to pull out the shims. I then retighten the bolts and move the front end up and down to make sure it isn't binding. Almost every tractor with 4x4 needs this adjustment.

/ Front Drive End Play
Thanks Kaysupply - i wasn't sure if removing or ading shims tightened it up. Looks like an easy fix - I appreciate the info!

/ Front Drive End Play #4  
How do you tell if you have this problem also? Is it a excessive play in the front wheels? Can you tell from the steering wheel? thaks, bw

/ Front Drive End Play
The axle rides and pivots on a pivot pin - the play we're eliminiating is between the axle and the frame of the tractor along the pivot pin. If you have a parts diagram you can see what I'm tryin to say - hopefully.

So see if you do have "play" --- I haven't tried this yet, but lift your front end off the ground and see if you can move the entire frint axle front to back.

They way I found it was when the tractor was parked and the front end was a little uneven and pointing a bit downhill. When I tried to turn the steering wheel back and forth with moderate pressure the axle would knock on the front and back frame along the pivot pin. There's suppose to be enough play so that the axle can pivot without binding.

/ Front Drive End Play #6  
I think that the play we are talking about here is fore and aft play of the front axle assembly along the length of the axle pivot bolt. If you lift the front end off the ground any play is evident by trying to move the whole front axle front and back along that bolt. It isn't uncommon for all 4wd tractors to need shimming there after 500 or a thousand hours....but frankly it is only the most concerned owners who ever do anything about it.

If the play gets too large I think it could knock out the pinion shaft seal where the front driveshaft enters the front differential. At least I've seen leaks there and wondered if that front play might not be the cause. I can't see any other reason to shim it. Oil leaking from the pinion shaft seal might not be obvious till it leaked out of the juction where the front drive shaft joints to the transmission about at the center of the tractor.

/ Front Drive End Play
I removed the shims today. It took up most of the play but there's still a little much - probably not a big deal - BUT I see that I'm leaking 90W down the front driveline - likely a leaky seal at the pumpkin - caused by excess play like roger_scotty said?
I just took it on a road trip - about 7 miles one way to do some tilling for a friend - maybe those road miles were hard on her. I'll keep an eye on it - see how much it is leaking.

/ Front Drive End Play
I forgot to mention that it took all of 10 minutes to remove the shims...that included a coffee break.

/ Front Drive End Play #9  
Looks like you need to write yourself a check for about 275.00 bucks.

/ Front Drive End Play
What are you getting at BrettW?