Front end loader Joystick issue. MF 1734

/ Front end loader Joystick issue. MF 1734 #1  

Buckchaser

Tractor
Massey F 1734
I own a 1734 MF and a part came off (see attached) underneath the rubber cuff on the joystick. The loader lifts up and down but the bucket wont move up or down. Im sure the part that either fell off or broke off controls the bucket . There may have been another part that came off. Not sure.It looks like the small bolt end sticking out of housing might either be stripped or broke off and it looks like the wide end of the loose part screws on to that bolt. Does anyone know if this is an easy fix ? I really dont want to take to dealer if i can fix myself. Too costly since dealer is far and I dont have a trailer to transport. Any help would be appreciated. The tractor only has 150 hrs. on it and the part shouldnt have come off with that few hours of use. And if it needs new parts where could I order online?

Attachments

• 100_8575.JPG
    100_8575.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 193
  • 100_8579.JPG
    100_8579.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 164
  • 100_8580.JPG
    100_8580.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 155
   / Front end loader Joystick issue. MF 1734 #2  
Looks broken to me. You should be able to tell if a shaft or threaded part is broken.

Call your dealer, get hold of the person who sold it to you and ask if it is covered by warrantee. One nasty thing is that the tractors are usually covered by a fairly long multi-year guarantee but the loaders are NOT; they are typically only covered for one year. If you bought it used it is probably still under warrantee only if bought new less than 1 year ago.

Let's assume it is not under warrantee for whatever set of reasons. Find the nameplate on the loader valve. That joystick control almost certainly came on the loader valve as a unit but the joystick control mechanism should be available separately. Call the loader valve company, [find on-line if you have no paperwork on it] describe the failure and get a price for the replacement parts. The joystick and related linkage should be available separately from the loader valve and you should have little trouble replacing the joystick assembly yourself. Replacing the entire loader valve with joystick through AGCO is likely to be very expensive but you should be able to buy it direct from the manufacturer. Google the manufacturer's name and follow the support and contact info. It is POSSIBLE that the entire unit is not all that expensive and it might pay to buy it that way which would leave you with a get set of spares, etc. I've seen some on Amazon under $200.

Last edited:
   / Front end loader Joystick issue. MF 1734
Great.. Thank you for your response and for the advice. I'll do some checking on it tomorrow.

/ Front end loader Joystick issue. MF 1734 #4  
I have a Massey with a 911 loader with a joystick, mine broke too. I can't tell from your pictures if yours broke the same way or not. I called my dealer and asked if it would be covered under warrantee and it was. The tractor was less than a year old at the time. I took it apart, took the broken piece to the dealer and they handed me a new piece. The piece that broke was a cast aluminum, if this one breaks I will have a local machinist build one out of steel.

Thank you. My Massey only has 150 hrs. on it but it's 3 years old. I doubt if warranty covers it but I will check on it anyway. If not Ill see if I can get the part for it.

/ Front end loader Joystick issue. MF 1734 #6  
Thank you. My Massey only has 150 hrs. on it but it's 3 years old. I doubt if warranty covers it but I will check on it anyway. If not Ill see if I can get the part for it.
Don't know your situation but since it is not under warrantee this does not take a dealer to fix. Depending on how you feel about tackling it yourself, this would be a pretty small job for any farm repair or tractor maint shop near you.

Thanks JWR. I will try and get the part and fix myself. Dealer would charge a lot to fix. I may have to buy more than that individual piece. Will do some checking. Hopefully I dont have to buy the whole kit just to get that one piece. Apparently according to dealer , a few other 1700 series MF had the same issue with the loader joystick part.
Thank You for your input

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR