Ballast Front end weight

/ Front end weight #1  

Go Wings

Tractor
L3410D
I am taking my front end loader off my L3410 and need to put some weight on the front end but how much should I put on? Thanks for any input.

/ Front end weight #2  
If you have the brush guard on the front weights will fit right on there. It all depends what you are putting on the back that determines what you need on the front.

/ Front end weight #3  
Why do you feel weight needs to be added to the front? When I take off my FEL I never add weight to the front. Philip.

/ Front end weight #4  
Many models come with a bolt-on bracket for suitcase weights. It would be centered between the front wheels, and if you've got it you have a number of options as far as weights and means of attachment. In any case, they [weights] need to be secured.

/ Front end weight #5  
Why do you feel weight needs to be added to the front? When I take off my FEL I never add weight to the front. Philip.

On most tractors, a heavy rear weight (box blade or heavy cutter) will lighten the front end until the steering is very light. The front end may even come off the ground at times:( Even a landscape rake on my B2710 makes the front end very light. I used to have an M4700 and it was a bear bolting the front weight bumper (100#+) on and off, but absolutely necessary. On my M9540, with a big tow behind Bush Hog, the front end still feels a bit light at times and I have 700#s on the front.

To the OP, it depends on what you are putting on the rear. Do you have a weight bumper/bracket on there already? How light does the front feel? Probably a hundred pounds will help a lot.

/ Front end weight #6  
This 6' bush hog makes my L3940 a little light in the front, but not light enough that I would go out and buy weights and take the time to put them on and off. Just wondering why he felt like he needed to add weight? What is he doing? It is a very general question. Philip.

Attachments

• BUSHHOG3.jpg
    BUSHHOG3.jpg
    880.4 KB · Views: 488
   / Front end weight #7  
I mow with my L3800DT with the FEL off and a heavy Land Pride 5' mower. There is no need for added weight on the front. Now when I had a 2wd L245 years ago, it did need extra weight on the front.

/ Front end weight #8  
Well depends on what you got hanging off the back. Personally I believe in sharing the load across the whole tractor and not just the one axle. If you are going to be putting an implement on the rear, I would add enough weight where you don't see a noticeable shift in weight when you raise the rear implement. Also the type of rear implement can make a difference in the amount of weight. Box blades dig in and want to pull the front up, so more weight in the front will help to keep steering on the front wheels.

And honestly a lot depends on the terrain and how you would be traversing it as well, steep hills going up them forwards with heavy weight on the rear, you might want more weight. Flat ground, not needed so much.

Light steering is almost never a good thing, there is nothing like going straight when you need to turn (for some reason trees just don't get out of the way, LOL).

/ Front end weight #9  
I hear ya. But, 90% of the time I have a box blade or areator on the 3 point, I have my FEL on too because I am doing dirt work. 95% of the time I have a finish mower or bush hog on 3 point, I do not have my FEL on (I have hit too many fences, buildings, and trees and learned my lesson), and I have no problem with the weight distribution here. Since he was not very clear in his question, hard to judge what his needs are. Philip.

/ Front end weight #10  
I have a B2320 and when the LP0550 tiller is on the back i need front end weight. I have hilly terain and without it my fornt tires pop off the ground. Im currently fabbing up some weights totaling 150lbs. Im doing this all out of scrap steel from work. the only thing i may need is some hardware.