Front mounted tow hitch?

/ Front mounted tow hitch? #11  
CUT = Compact Utility Tractor
SCUT = Sub Compact Utility Tractor

I think the bulk of our conserns, as stated by someone already, are the gears spinning much faster than they would if they were under tractor power.

/ Front mounted tow hitch? #12  
No, you seriously dont want to build one of these for your tractor; the drop off hitches made for road travel for heavy trucks used to haul sugar beets and grain semi trailers.

I would look at the kaufman trailer home page as their trailers are not expensive like the other majors.

/ Front mounted tow hitch? #13  
How about towing the pickup with the tractor??? or carrying a bicycle ???
You're only talking 4 miles, right??? MikeD74T

/ Front mounted tow hitch? #14  
Agree with mike on this one. Towing the tractor with a hitch like you suggested causes a lot of wear on the steering and the gears. I saw it used alot when i was a kid and it almost always resulted in repairs to tractor if not an accident. The accepted tow bar method in my area is to tow the truck with the tractor. That said newer vehicles may require disconecting driveshaft etc to avoid damaging them with while towing. You need to investigate further.

/ Front mounted tow hitch? #15  
I would probably go with a hitch that raises the front wheels off of the ground, and then have a way to lock the front axle from pivoting and catching on the road. Then go slow with the tractor gear and range selectors in N.

TractorTowbar.png

Aaron Z

/ Front mounted tow hitch?
the speed is perhaps the largest concern then like you guys mentioned. I can drive slow on the tractor or drive slow with tractor in tow. lol

assuming perfect conditions, (new tractor, excellent bearings, good road, excellent tracking) what is the max speed one might consider before damaging the gears?

Perhaps the end result is pointless.

I think thats what you guys were trying to tell me in the beginning.

pulling the truck is an option but seems like much more money and work than I was looking at putting into it.

at some point its just as cheap to buy another old wore out tractor and leave it over there. Or find ways to complete the tasks with my truck.

Thanks for all the replies

I like reading of the customization stuff on here, looking for things to fit my operation

/ Front mounted tow hitch? #17  
I can't find any pictures of it, but I had a cart that was made from '53 Ford car front spindles & two pieces of an old square hay bale chute to pull the old two-cylinder tractors. It was for narrow front, but the idea would work for wide fronts too. We just drove the front wheels into the cart, the tailgate was the ramp, chained it down & pulled it behind a pickup. Cart floor was only 6-8" off the ground. Dad was told by a JD mechanic it was best to leave the old JD's running for lubrication, don't know about Massey's, but probably wouldn't hurt. As far as speed, just remember you have to be able to stop! We pulled the old MT up to 25 mph or so, but they're pretty light. Have pulled the 720D, just not very fast. ~~ grnspot110

/ Front mounted tow hitch? #18  
A 2 ton MF65 at speed, will push the unloaded rear end of a truck off the road, unless you keep at tractor speed... Just a matter of time before you get into trouble.
I also think the towed dolly that carries the tractor front wheels, is the best idea. It solves the issue of tractor steering the truck, and of the sloppy tractor tie rods.
...OR just get another trailer: if your trailer is allways loaded with hay, it means that you have a hay stack on wheels, but no trailer. Wouldnt you at least need a trailer ?? ;)

/ Front mounted tow hitch? #20  
Both NH manuals for my tractors say 12 mph is max. The 8N CVT linkage has to be prepped underneath before towing so the tranny is not damaged. I think a trailer would be faster, safer, and not damage the tractor.