Front push blade

/ Front push blade #1  

Ym1401King

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1401
I was thinking about adding a front snow or other materials push blade on my YM1401, but there is not a hook up nor a way to lift the darn thing. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Aric YM1401/w3tcompact/icons/king.gif

/ Front push blade #2  
Aric

If you look in an old ford tractor book you will see such a blade. I believe it is on a 2,9, and 8N tractors. The best I remember is it works with pulleys and cables attached to the 3ph. Good luck hope it helps.

/ Front push blade #3  
Can you post a pic of the front of this tractor, or point to one that shows it?

I mounted a Western snow plow A-frame by using the belly mower plates and the front weight bracket as attachment points. Then just ran the hyd. lines for lift and angle to the loader couplings.

/ Front push blade #4  
<font color=red>Can you post a pic of the front of this tractor, or point to one that shows it? <font color=black>

Sorry I don't have a picture. I saw it in a book on the history of ford tractors that somebody had loaned to me.

You might try looking through the tractor books at the book store, some of them are pretty good. Good Luck.

/ Front push blade #5  
I have never tried it, but it seems to me that someone could get one of the snow plow units made for small trucks and Jeeps and then fabricate a mount for the front of a tractor.

I was in a Army unit in Germany in the early 70's and we were responsible for post snow removal. My platoon had a couple of small Ford tractors for that purpose and I am trying to remember how the snow blades were mounted from memory.

They were older tractors with FEL's and the FEL had single acting cylinders on them. You had lift but no down pressure. The snow blades were mounted after the bucket was removed and they had their own frame that allowed the blade to be angled from side to side or set straight. You had to get off the tractor and manually position the angle of the blade.

The blades were on a pivot and were spring loaded. If you hit a lip in the road or the curb, the blade would collapse forward. Back up and the springs would pull the blade back upright into place and you could just continue working.

I remember that there was a limit to how high we could lift the FEL when the snow plow was attached so I think there was an additional support from the bottom of the mount back to the front of the tractor frame for additional support. But I don't remember. I just remember that we could only raise the blade about 18".

/ Front push blade #6  
Try this site... Yesterdays tractors

http://www.ytmag.com/

In the grey line near the top look for the 9N, 2N, 8N discussion site. There is also an archive with hundreds of threads. There are guys there that can definitly give you some ideas. There are also other models of tractors discussion boards and lots of pictures.

If I remember right, on some older tractors, there is a long frame under the tractor that attaches to brackes on the rear axels. The frame pivots in the middle. When the back of the frame pivots up, it pushes the front down and vise versa. I can't remember just how it's attached for lifting. Perhaps some kind of attachemnt to the 3ph. Hope this helps.

Mike

/ Front push blade #7  
Thanks Mike. There may have been a beam running to the rear under the tractor. That would certainly make sense and allow for something solid to push against. But that was too many years and too many beers ago for me to remember.

/ Front push blade #8  
Sorry CSAW
I was asking the original poster for a pic of his tractor that he wants to outfit with a blade.

I had a TO30 Ferguson once for which I designed and had fabricated a front mount blade that raised via a cable system and pulleys connected to the three pt arms. It worked, but can't say much more for it. Commercial versions were likely much better.