Price Check Front snow thrower for 4100 series- Price & others

/ Front snow thrower for 4100 series- Price & others #11  
As Dahammer mentioned, a front blade with hydraulics is pretty slick. I have a lot of pavement to clear and I use a rubber "squeegee" between the cutting edge and the moldboard and I can really move a lot of snow in half the time a blower or loader can.

The only differences to consider between my use and yours is the type of surface you are clearing and the amount of snow you receive. My 54" front blade handily cleared a 30"+ snowfall this last President's Day for me and five other neighbors with 200' + asphault driveways. The issue for you might be that you will run out of space to put the snow unless you start your berms several feet off the paved surface (that's what I do). With a blower, you can relocate the snow mass far away from the area. Our snows typically melt down pretty well before the next round so the build up from several storms may be the clincher for you.

Also, snow blowers work best on pavement. Loaders and blades work well on all surfaces. The beauty of the front blade is the speed, especially with hydraulic angling.

/ Front snow thrower for 4100 series- Price & others #12  
Quick pic: JD2210 with 54" hydraulic front blade. Total cost including hydraulics was under $1,000.

Attachments

• 297472-2210 Ready for more.jpg
    297472-2210 Ready for more.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 407
   / Front snow thrower for 4100 series- Price & others #13  
<font color="green"> With a blower, you can relocate the snow mass far away from the area. </font>
Or if you have a loader, throw it on and dump it someplace else, gives you another excuse to use the tractor ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Front snow thrower for 4100 series- Price & others #14  
Another of the 54" blade. This is the same setup as for a 4100. The quick hitch is a specific for each model

Attachments

• 297482-240417-med_2210_bld_rt_01.jpg
    297482-240417-med_2210_bld_rt_01.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 442
   / Front snow thrower for 4100 series- Price & others #15  
I use my loader to relocate a few of the bigger piles after zipping around getting the snow off the pavement. I don't need to, but it feels like the right thing to do.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Front snow thrower for 4100 series- Price & others #16  
Re: Front snow thrower for 4100 series- Price & ot

Thats not surprising...around here all of the dealers price like they were selling gold instead of steel. Still front mount is at least twice the price.

As for the chute I didnt know you could get a front moutn w/o chute rotation assist. In other words I didnt think anyone had a model w/ a hand crank. jimg

/ Front snow thrower for 4100 series- Price & others #17  

The problem Ive observed w/ pushing snow is that it only works well when total snow fall is low. Eventually collection areas start to encroach on those youre trying to keep clear. Then it has to be moved a second (or more) time. Also despite being careful youll wind up doing damage to grass, walkway, etc w/ a blade. jimg

/ Front snow thrower for 4100 series- Price & others #18  

<font color="green"> The problem Ive observed w/ pushing snow is that it only works well when total snow fall is low. </font>
Well, they sell a LOT of snow plows for pickup trucks and most of those are plowing driveways, so I guess if you know how to use one it will work fine. My blade is spring loaded, so I can't do much damage with it. You can control the height of the blade, so that you don't go smacking into things. If you usually get more than 10 or 12 inches at a time, then a blower is probably the better way to go. I can easily push 8 to 10 inches of snow off my driveway with a two wheel drive garden tractor. I imagine a 4wd compact would do as well or better. Notice how clean the area is after it is plowed..

Attachments

• 297559-plowing.JPG
    297559-plowing.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 472
   / Front snow thrower for 4100 series- Price & others #19  

No doubt they sell a boat load. Im not sure its b/c theyre the best thing just the most common and cheapest. Yes, you can do a lot of work w/ a plow but in the end if the snowfall is great enough youll wind up w/ a shrinking driveway and piles in the way. Now if your drive isnt pavement then its not quite so clean and tidy. If theres any loose stone itll wind up in a pile somewhere in you yard etc. Then if you want paths from the house to the barn plowing starts to look not that interesting. OK, Ill leave it at that...Id just rather move it once and not have to cleanup a mess in the spring. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Front snow thrower for 4100 series- Price & others #20  

Nothing like watching my neighbor get a face full of it when the wind changes direction and he is blowing snow. That is, if he can keep the chute unclogged long enough with that wet, coastal snow we often get. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif