Front Tire Puncture Question

/ Front Tire Puncture Question #1  

rmonio

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4600, JD B
Some time ago I managed to puncture my front tire (through the tread, so it could be repaired with a plug). Last week I had a situation where I was losing air in the tire and couldn't figure out why. The tire dealer told me there was a pinhole in it and they needed to tube it. I had that done and now it is fine.

Question - is this an issue for working with heavy loads on my Loader? For example, I regularly stack large Round Hay Bales... I'm thinking that with proper weight in the back it shouldn't be, but I figured I'd ask if anyone else has tubed their tires. I see may discussions over the years where people have filled their tires for weight - but not tubing them.

Thanks for your help with this question.

-Bob

/ Front Tire Puncture Question #2  
I have no idea how common tubing a tractor tire is but know it is done and have had one or two done over the years. It could be a pin hole they are not locating or cannot plug. One place to watch for on tractor tires for leak some miss is the tire to rim. We tend to think it must be in the tire and just over look the bead joint of tire to rim.

/ Front Tire Puncture Question #3  
R1/Ag Tires are almost always 4-ply tires. The flexibility of 4-ply construction adds to tractor traction.

R4/Industrial Tires are almost always at least 6-ply tires. If you buy a premium price tractor front R4/industrial tires are pretty often 10-ply tires from factory.
R4/Industrial tires are much tougher than R1/Ag Tires.
R4/Industrial tires provide less tractor traction than R1/Ag Tires.

Do you check your tire inflation with an air gauge, monthly? All four tires?

/ Front Tire Puncture Question
I have no idea how common tubing a tractor tire is but know it is done and have had one or two done over the years. It could be a pin hole they are not locating or cannot plug. One place to watch for on tractor tires for leak some miss is the tire to rim. We tend to think it must be in the tire and just over look the bead joint of tire to rim.

Thanks. I didn't think it was an issue.. I just hadn't seen any mentions in the past or in other postings.

-Bob

/ Front Tire Puncture Question #5  
In the past I believe all tractor tires (and other tires) had tubes. Adding a properly sized tube should not be a concern. If a tubeless tire has a slow leak it can frequently be attributed to a poor seal on the rim either due to inadequate cleaning or rust buildup.

/ Front Tire Puncture Question #6  
I would be curious as to the location of the “pinhole” leak.

Was it leaking at the plug?

I have seen a lot of tire plugs that leak. In most cases, a tire repaired with a plug cold have been better serviced with a patch inside the tire. Plugs often leak. Patches seldom do.

/ Front Tire Puncture Question #7  
R1/Ag Tires are almost always 4-ply tires. The flexibility of 4-ply construction adds to tractor traction.

R4/Industrial Tires are almost always at least 6-ply tires. If you buy a premium price tractor front R4/industrial tires are pretty often 10-ply tires from factory.

Many R1's are 6 ply, some are even available in 8 or 10 ply.

/ Front Tire Puncture Question #8  
As has been mentioned all tires used to be tubed, some are still marketed as tube type tires and even tubeless radials can have tubes installed.

/ Front Tire Puncture Question

Yes, I do. It was fine.

My fronts are R1's... They match the specs that were on the JD 4600 for the first 20 years that I've had it.

I would be curious as to the location of the “pinhole” leak.

Was it leaking at the plug?

I have seen a lot of tire plugs that leak. In most cases, a tire repaired with a plug cold have been better serviced with a patch inside the tire. Plugs often leak. Patches seldom do.

Unsure. They did indicate that the plug was still intact.

I've had not issues with the tubing of the tire since and I have loaded about 35 round bales and other items in the last week.

/ Front Tire Puncture Question #10  
Did you have the plug removed and a boot installed in the tire before it was tubed?