Front tranny seal for ford 4500 with power reversing transmission

/ Front tranny seal for ford 4500 with power reversing transmission #1  

somanytractors

Silver Member
Tractor
several
I have a ford 4500 with a 4 speed power reversing transmission. It has a torque converter instead of a clutch.
The numbers (as best I can make out) by the starter are
D 5011F
OD10B
G268477

On the side of the tranny
1211 69
L

The front transmission seal is leaking.
Can anyone tell me the part number of the seal I need for this?
I would really like to get the seal before taking it apart so I can pull it apart and put it back together on the same day.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
John

Attachments

• model1.jpg
    model1.jpg
    822.1 KB · Views: 41
  • model2.jpg
    model2.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 450013.jpg
    450013.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 61
   / Front tranny seal for ford 4500 with power reversing transmission #2  
Try Messick's parts look up Worth a try they had a full breakdown of my Ford 550

/ Front tranny seal for ford 4500 with power reversing transmission #3  
I have a ford 4500 with a 4 speed power reversing transmission. It has a torque converter instead of a clutch.
The numbers (as best I can make out) by the starter are
D 5011F
OD10B
G268477

On the side of the tranny
1211 69
L

The front transmission seal is leaking.
Can anyone tell me the part number of the seal I need for this?
I would really like to get the seal before taking it apart so I can pull it apart and put it back together on the same day.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
John
Pic #! stamped #'s D5011F = 4500, Diesel, No PTO ,
0D10B + Built April 10, 1970 day shift.
C (not G) 268477 is S/N.

Pic #2 Raised #'s Casting / part numbers. Not needed for obtaining parts.

/ Front tranny seal for ford 4500 with power reversing transmission #4  
D8NN7N089AA torque converter seal.
Hopefully, you can just go in and replace the seal. BUT, it takes some doing to split and you shouldn’t just do a hurried job. At the very least, remove the torque converter, check flex plate for cracks. You may consider replacing the rear main seal and the rear freeze plugs as well at this time. Check the forward/reverse linkage roll pins for wear or looseness. Resealing the shuttle should be considered too, but if it shifts cleanly then you could avoid.
Up to you. It just takes time to split and buckle up.

On last tip, if you remove the steering box bolts on the bell housing after you loosen up the drag link, you can get the drag link all the way off the arm. The other method is taking the pitman arm off of the steering box, but if it has been on the shaft a long time…good luck with that.

Nice looking tractor btw. Side and front views would be nice!

/ Front tranny seal for ford 4500 with power reversing transmission
Thanks everyone for the help.
I love this forum. It's my go to place when I need help. Everyone is always helpful here.
And thanks Tractor Tech for the part number!
It should be pretty easy to get apart. I just went through the motor and put it back in, and I knew to replace the seal but just forgot about it so now I have to pull it apart again.
Here's a few more pics. I've rebuilt a few tractors. I included a before pis too

Attachments

• 450002.jpg
    450002.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 57
  • 450012.jpg
    450012.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
  • old.jpg
    old.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
   / Front tranny seal for ford 4500 with power reversing transmission #6  
Definitely check the flex plate for any sign of a crack.

/ Front tranny seal for ford 4500 with power reversing transmission #7  
Nice paint job! Nicer than factory

Definitely check the flex plate for any sign of a crack.
The flex plate is fine. I just had it off to change the rear main seal when I had the motor out.
Everything seems in pretty good condition except that I forgot to change the torque converter seal.

/ Front tranny seal for ford 4500 with power reversing transmission #9  
The flex plate is fine. I just had it off to change the rear main seal when I had the motor out.
Everything seems in pretty good condition except that I forgot to change the torque converter seal.
Did you change the freeze plugs in the back of the head and block. The one in the can only be accessed with the tractor split. Ask me how I know.

Did you change the freeze plugs in the back of the head and block. The one in the can only be accessed with the tractor split. Ask me how I know.
Yep. The one in the block was leaking of course. The 3000s have the same problem. That's a pretty stupid place for a freeze plug. When they leak you wind up with water in the starter and clutch, and then the clutch winds up struck together and the starter full of rust. I've seen that problem before.