Ballast Front weight kit?

/ Front weight kit? #1  

Jaybr

Silver Member
Tractor
TBD
Yesterday I picked up a new finish mower (Rhino TM72) for my CK35. In order to make the tractor more manuverable I took the FEL off before hooking up the RFM. Do I need some weight up front, or is the tractor heavy enough on it's own for the 600lb mower?

I called my dealer today and he can get me the Kioti front weight kit pretty quick, but he says I'll have to remove my brush guard.

I have loaded rear tires, fronts are not.

This is the first time I've taken the FEL off in the 15 months I've owned the tractor, and I never removed the FEL off my previous tractor in the 5 years I owned it. It felt a little light when I first drove it, but that could be just because I've never driven without the FEL.

/ Front weight kit? #2  
It feels weird to drive around with the FEL off doesn't it. Really short and maneuverable.

Your rear tires are the fulcrum of the teeter totter you've created so the loaded rear tires won't help you except for traction.

Doesn't a finish mower pretty much set on the ground? I'm thinking that if the mower is mostly on the ground then you don't have a problem but when you lift it up in the air it will get light up front.

/ Front weight kit?
Yes, it feels weird.

The finish mower does set on the ground so no concern while mowing. I'm more concerned about loading onto the trailer while the mower is fully raised, situations like that. I also have a rotary cutter which spends a fair amount of time suspended while mowing.

I may just be paranoid because I've never done it, just looking for others experience.

/ Front weight kit? #4  
I have the Woods PRD7200 and it weighs slightly more, (I think). Take it easy loading on to a trailer and you'll be fine. My loader is off most of the summer for mowing, but I have the removal and install down to where it's fast and simple. I notice a light feeling now and then during transport if I'm going up a hill and bounce a little, (you have to test these things sometimes). Not enough to consider weights but tht's my choice. If you feel there needed, go for it.

/ Front weight kit?
I tested it out today, raised the mower and stood on the back end of it and bounced a few times. At 220 lbs I couldn't get the front end up on the tractor, so I feel a lot more comfortable with it now.

Not sure I'll want to pull the box blade or grader box without the loader on though.

/ Front weight kit? #6  
If you did want to add some weight temporarily up front you could always hang a few fuel jugs or water cans on the brush guard while loading the tractor on a trailer. That could add 40-80 lbs of counter balance. Another possibility would be to load the front tires. That seems to be a little bit more controversial than loading rears but is done and can add about 200 plus lbs.